• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paying for Game Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuJiaXian

Explorer
I DM'd the DMG2 Game Day this afternoon. Usually the store has three or more concurrent Game Day sessions going on, but today virtually no one showed up. In fact, even after pulling in the one other DM that showed up, my game only had four players (one guy doubled up on characters). So, why the disparity in attendance?

Turns out that the hosting store made the players (not me, as the DM) buy at least $20 worth of D&D products as an "entrance fee" to participate in the Game Day adventure I'd prepared. I'd never heard such nonsense before. The store clerk said it was something mandated by WotC, and that every other store running Game Day would be doing the same thing. He claimed that WotC needed the sales to justify the cost of printing the character sheets and maps and such.

I came home after the session and did some searching online. Nowhere can I find any mention of an associated cost or fee for Game Day participants, so I'm tempted to say that the game store just fed me a line. If that's the case, I won't be back (disappointing, because they're about the best game store in the area). If they were, in fact, telling the truth and WotC has decided to charge, as it were, for Game Day participation, well, I have no idea what to think of that. All I can say is that the last three Game Days at this particular store have drawn large crowds, but today, in five hours, only five people showed up, myself included.

This is especially frustrating because past Game Days have always boiled down to me teaching 4e to new players. Do you think someone who'd potentially interested in 4e D&D is going to buy $20 of product of a game that he or she doesn't even know how to play yet (much less know whether he or she will even like the game) simply to participate in what amounts to a demo? I think not. Either the store is shooting itself in the foot, or WotC is.

So, did anyone else experience this economic setback?

Sounds to me like the storeperson is full of it, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else had this experience.

It definitely wouldn't be the first time a store tried to cash in on a promotional event (which are designed to help stores cash in, anyway).

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
Your LGS is full of it. I just checked our local location and they advertised the event as "Free" like they've done for all the previous game day events.

Nebten

First Post
Sad to say, I believe the store owner feed you a line. It would not cost $100 to supply the mini's and the map/tiles. None of the stores in my area charged to play the game Day. Hell for $20 (closer to $35-40) you can get a weekend worth of Con games in let a lone one 4 hour one shot.

I am sorry you had this experience espically since it was you who did the prep work and all the store did was order the mod.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Turns out that the hosting store made the players (not me, as the DM) buy at least $20 worth of D&D products as an "entrance fee" to participate in the Game Day adventure I'd prepared. I'd never heard such nonsense before. The store clerk said it was something mandated by WotC, and that every other store running Game Day would be doing the same thing.

Your store clerk is lying to you. Please let us know the name of the store in question so that we can make some noise about it.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We hosted the Game Day. WotC put no requirements for purchases, the store got the stuff for free from WotC. As a store owner, I am glad for the traffic in my store.

Perram

Explorer
I DM'd the DMG2 Game Day this afternoon. Usually the store has three or more concurrent Game Day sessions going on, but today virtually no one showed up. In fact, even after pulling in the one other DM that showed up, my game only had four players (one guy doubled up on characters). So, why the disparity in attendance?

Turns out that the hosting store made the players (not me, as the DM) buy at least $20 worth of D&D products as an "entrance fee" to participate in the Game Day adventure I'd prepared. I'd never heard such nonsense before. The store clerk said it was something mandated by WotC, and that every other store running Game Day would be doing the same thing. He claimed that WotC needed the sales to justify the cost of printing the character sheets and maps and such.

I came home after the session and did some searching online. Nowhere can I find any mention of an associated cost or fee for Game Day participants, so I'm tempted to say that the game store just fed me a line. If that's the case, I won't be back (disappointing, because they're about the best game store in the area). If they were, in fact, telling the truth and WotC has decided to charge, as it were, for Game Day participation, well, I have no idea what to think of that. All I can say is that the last three Game Days at this particular store have drawn large crowds, but today, in five hours, only five people showed up, myself included.

This is especially frustrating because past Game Days have always boiled down to me teaching 4e to new players. Do you think someone who'd potentially interested in 4e D&D is going to buy $20 of product of a game that he or she doesn't even know how to play yet (much less know whether he or she will even like the game) simply to participate in what amounts to a demo? I think not. Either the store is shooting itself in the foot, or WotC is.

So, did anyone else experience this economic setback?

Your store is lying and did you and your community a great disservice by charging for a free promotional event.

THANKFULLY you aren't without your options!

First, I would talk to the stores OWNER about the event and see what he has to say about it. If this was some clerk scamming the customers, he may want to know! It happens, unfortunately and it isn't always managements fault.

If it WAS the management's policy contact WotC and complain about it! WotC doesn't like it when stuff like this happens, and as a manager of a gaming store, I can tell you it isn't good when WotC doesn't like you.

Treebore

First Post
Well, for whatever reason, NO ONE showed up for game day today at my LGS, except me and my son. Drove an hour for nothing. Curious since we usually have 30+ people show up in the past, and the store had been advertising it for about 2 months.

Plenty of Magic games going though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads