• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pbem/pbp?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
punkorange said:
So where is a good place to find a pbp game. I wouldn't want to really jump in one that's been going on for years, and is the turnover rate as bad as mirc style games?
Here on EN World (Talking the Talk, as mentioned earlier) and we have LEW (Living EN World, our own setting).

Driddle

First Post
punkorange said:
I've often thought about looking into a pbp game, but it just seems to me like it would take forever then a few days to do anything. Is this the case?

:) Back in the day, I used to pay for a few PBM games -- the M stands for "mail," by the way. Standard postal delivery.

So, no. PBP turn-around doesn't seem long at all.

The Shaman

First Post
I'm presently running two PbP games and playing in two others. A few observations -

Plusses
  • Much easier for a GM to prepare - plenty of lead time
  • GM has time to study rules if necessary before ruling on an action
  • Opportunity for interesting, detailed description of people and places
  • Excellent opportunity for character development (player and non- ) - you can share a character's thoughts as well as their words and expressions if you like
  • Automatically generates a written record of everything that happens in the campaign
  • No need to schedule "game time," which for adults with families and jobs is a blessing

Minuses
  • Very...slow...pace...
  • The social interaction element is more limited, though it still exists in the same way that posters on the boards interact - it's not absent but it is curtailed considerably
  • Tactical-intensive encounters that depend on maps may be more challenging to run
Overall I like PbP. I'm working on some ideas for handling the map question, and I'm finding that the social aspect is acceptable for the moment, but the pace is definitely something to which one must be willing to adjust in order to enjoy the games.

Pinotage

Explorer
punkorange said:
So where is a good place to find a pbp game. I wouldn't want to really jump in one that's been going on for years, and is the turnover rate as bad as mirc style games?

PlaybyWeb.com and rpol.net. They both have sections for advertising games, and indicate which games are still looking for players. On PlaybyWeb they also maintain a list of the most recent 40 games. And if D&D doesn't float your boat, they cater for most other systems as well.

Pinotage

IronWolf

blank
punkorange said:

www.pbem.com can be a good place to find folks as others have mentioned. It looks several other sites have been suggested also.

The turnover rate can be high depending on the game. It just a matter of finding a good group to get in with. A DM that does some screening, usually via short writing samples and stating his posting requirements per week is probably a good start. Even then you can have trouble with players rotating through or the DM dropping the game. It may take a few games to find one you can really settle into and go the distance with.

Good luck!

LondonReign

First Post
punkorange said:
I've often thought about looking into a pbp game, but it just seems to me like it would take forever then a few days to do anything. Is this the case?
We've found that the rule of thumb is 1 hour of tabletop play = 1 week of PBeM play. So, yeah, it is a lot slower, but a good alternative for those who simply can't commit huge amounts of time due to family, work, etc.

Remove ads