• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC creating his own poison

Aurianna

First Post
I believe that you'll also notice that the secondary effects of Poisons (as they currently exist) occur 1 minute after the initial exposure. Considering this, I think that allowing a secondary effect each round for 3 rounds is just too much. Granted, I have a couple of NPCs that would LOVE this poison, but I wouldn't allow it (probably:D ).

JadeLyon

First Post
Aurianna said:
I believe that you'll also notice that the secondary effects of Poisons (as they currently exist) occur 1 minute after the initial exposure. Considering this, I think that allowing a secondary effect each round for 3 rounds is just too much. Granted, I have a couple of NPCs that would LOVE this poison, but I wouldn't allow it (probably:D ).

I realize the potential for being unbalanced. I valued the doses at 1,000 GP each, so when he peppered this guy with 5 in 3 rounds, it cost him 5,000 GP. Much more expensive than a similar spell.

Also, The paralysis lasts 2d6 rounds. The 3 rounds of 16 Fort Saves is the primary effect. There is no secondary effect. The idea was to have a poison that took a few seconds before it "really hit". The low DC save 3 rounds is what I came up with.

He's maxed his professions for apothecary and dart maker, maxed his poison craft, and his alchemy skill, Is it really unbalanced? These are skill points he could have used for a lot of other things.

JadeLyon

First Post
Taloras said:
Actually, its the Craft(poisons) skill that is used to create poisons.

His poison craft is maxed as well. I didn't mention that. (my bad) The addition of the two professions, and the alchemy skill are what prompted me to allow it.

He realizes I'm still up in the air about it for next session, which is the reason for this thread.

So far most everyone thinks its unfair, but I'm not sure its unfair unless it really is unbalanced. I just haven't seen an argument except that it "seems" unfair.

Aurianna

First Post
I guess the only way you'll really know is when he starts ruining your encounters with it. When that happens, you'll know you goofed.

Do the ingredients of this poison come from some natural source, or is it Magical? Is he BUYING the components? I mean, at 1000gp per dose, you've set it higher than Purple Worm Poison. How many Purple Worm hunters out there? Should be VERY dangerous to get the components (from a source with better than a CR12). If this is a Magical Poison, there's a Feat for that. Follow standard Spell Creation rules.

Honestly, the 2d6 rounds duration is only important if your guy just wants to "circumvent" the opposition. If he's going to CDG them anyway, it could be only 1d4 rds and probably wouldn't make a diff.

If I was going to make this poison from the ground up, I'd start by looking at an existing poison, and modifying it. For example: Carrion Crawler brain juice is a "contact" poison that paralyses. DC13, 200gp.

Making it 3 rds duration (equiv to 3 "doses"), triple price = 600.
Requiring only 1 hit (instead of 3), same again, 600 + 600 =1200.
Injury type poisons tend to be less expensive than Contact types, so you could reduce the cost. However, this would be for a DC13 poison. Raising DC would increase the cost again.

In any case, Good Luck.;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads