PC Troubles

Chimera

First Post
Aliro said:
The GM is into really big metaplots and long, detailed stories that work aspects of every character into the storyline. He gets a little bent when people mess up his storylines by doing unexpected things. This is why I let him talk me out of my various character ideas (they didn't fit his plotline).

(Emphasis mine)

Oh man oh man. Run like hell. His story, not yours. I seriously dislike GMs who are unable to deal with their players doing the unexpected. If you stay, prepare to start singing railroad songs...

The GM told us his ideas for the campaign (social interaction and lots of role-playing) and then proceeded to take us out in the wilderness on an extended trek. I created a city rogue type and found myself out in the woods from the word go (some 10-12 weeks of adventuring, and two weeks we were in a city and we spent the entire time in the sewers :confused: ).

Been there, done that. Made up a heavy talker Bard/Transmuter for a "heavy role-play" game and then found that 1> There really wasn't that much role-play, 2> The group conflicted with everything I tried to negotiate when I actually did get the chance, and 3> Contrary to the GM telling me so, the party was more than capable of handling their own buffing, which rendered my Transmuter skills useless.

More recently, a friend joined a game described as RP and Skills heavy and light on combat, only to find that was clearly not true. He's already talking to the GM (another friend) about changing his character, since it doesn't fit Actual Play.

D-rock

First Post
Aliro said:
The GM is into really big metaplots and long, detailed stories that work aspects of every character into the storyline. He gets a little bent when people mess up his storylines by doing unexpected things. This is why I let him talk me out of my various character ideas (they didn't fit his plotline).

My advice, don't play this. Considering what you like to play to this, it looks like there is one too many trains on a single track coming together.

devilbat

First Post
This seems to slightly resemble a situation I am dealing with in my group. Allow me to give a DM's point of view, as far as character class choices go.

We have a new, and not very experienced roleplayer join our group. He asks if he can play a Ranger. I explain that we already have a woodlands type Ranger, and I suggest perhaps he would like to try a Ranger from a different terrain type, such as desert or mountain region. He says no.

He then suggests playing a wizard, that would end up taking the Graven One Prestige Class. I say sure, but explain to him that magic has beed deemed illegal in the province in which the game is currently set, so caution should be used when casting spells. He decides that is to hampering for him.

Finally he asks me what the group is lacking. I tell him a rogue would be helpful. He decides to play a halfling rogue, even though he knows that all humanoids receive outcast ratings, and are not looked kindly upon. At his first session he plays a character so hyper and annoying that the group threatens to not allow him to adventure with them
(Think Tasslehoff on uppers).

The next week, I hear him complain that I am not allowing him to play the type of characters he wants.

I'm sure this is not what you are going through, but my point is that sometimes the DM does everything they can to give you a hint, but if a player can't get the picture, then there is no easy way to deal with the situation.

S'mon

Legend
From GM POV, I think it can be very difficult to successfully integrate a new player & PC into an ongoing campaign. In my last campaign where new players frequently joined I never really managed to do this properly and players were several times left with unsatisfactory PCs and/or not understanding the campaign premises. This time round I tried to establish the player group in advance of starting the campaign, my intention was that I had 6 players and would not take more players unless most of the original group had left. I'm running Lost City of Barakus, a combat-intensive Necromancer Games module, in my warrior-centric campaign world. As it turned out, of the original players only one player played a dedicated warrior type, and that was after we told him the group needed one, he had initially wanted to play a Druid. I don't think he was very interested in the character - he already plays a legendary high level (18th) warrior in my occasional high level game, playing the same character at 1st level didn't much interest him and I think he only ever came for the first session. So I decided I'd be willing to take a new player, but most PC types would step on the shoes of the existing group; really I only had a vacancy for a warrior-type PC. So when a promising prospective player applied, I told her exactly what I was looking for, a warrior. She was keen on this, she wasn't into playing a knight like I suggested, but we discussed it and the character that emerged was a professional soldier veteran mercenary ex-Legionary now part of an Amerindian type tribe - kinda Dances With Wolves. The important thing was that the character was one I, as GM, found very cool and who I thought would fit well in the game.
So, I think my advice to other GMs adding new players with new PCs is to have a clear idea of what the campaign & group needs (in this case a warrior), make sure the player is willing (and seems able) to play this sort of character, then work with the player to develop a character (not stats, personality & background) who fits into the setting and, most importantly, impresses both player and yourself with their coolness. That last is very very important, the best bit of advice in Ron Edwards' Sorcerer & Sword. If a character doesn't really immediately grab both player & GM as a cool protagonist in their own story, there's something wrong. The GM needs to then communicate with the player - either the PC can be altered/adapted to become suitably cool, or the idea needs to be scrapped and start again. Life's too short for dull PCs.

Edit: OTOH if you run a disposable-PC game like Gygaxian D&D then players should be discouraged from investing too much time in creating their PCs; Gygaxian PCs become cool if they survive where the others didn't, they start off as disposable cardboard. Gygaxian D&D still has strict requirements though - eg the PC group needs to be well balanced, PCs need to be competent/min-maxed in their area of expertise, and so on. All this needs to be born in mind when the GM is communicating with the new player about creating their first PC.

Last edited:

Aliro

First Post
I find the train references both comforting and amusing. During our second adventure, the obvious railroading we were being subjected to caused me to grab a marker and draw some tracks on the battlemat for our characters to follow. I guess I should have seen the train coming from there, but I was ever hopeful. :(

Thanks for all of the advice.

--Aliro

Remove ads