• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC, Xbox 360 or PS3?

Simplicity

Explorer
I've heard good things about the new Ratchet and Clank. So, agreed, I forgot about that. The series has never caught my interest in the slightest. Just not my thing, perhaps?
But I've left out Gears of War on the XBox360 side, so let's call it an even trade.

Xbox's initial release titles were also abysmal. Agreed. It was quite a while before it had the momentum going for it. Like I said, the PS3 may turn it around. Sony is a smart company, they have the capability to succeed. But, I really wouldn't put money on it. Certainly not the amount of money required to purchase a PS3.

XBox360 was released Nov. 22, 2005.
Oblivion release: 3/20/2006
Dead Rising release: 8/8/2006.
Gears of War release 11/7/2006.

PS3 was released Nov. 17th, 2006. It's very nearly a year later now. The excuse of it's only our initial line up! That's getting kind of stale. People were counting on Heavenly Sword and Lair to break the curse of the poor initial lineup. But those wound up being turds. Little Big Planet may be a great game, or it may be more bowel movements. We'll see when it releases.

Mallus

Legend
James Heard said:
But a console isn't the "top-end experience" after its release on approximately the same sort of schedule you'd expect for generational graphics.
I should have written 'top-end experience for that platform'. Clearer?

Mallus

Legend
Simplicity said:
Certainly not the amount of money required to purchase a PS3.
You mean 'the same amount of money as it costs to buy a 360 with a comparable hardware loadout'?

And I little confused as to why Oblivion is a plus for the 360 and minus for the PS3? I have the PS3 version and it's quite nice. There's no way in hell it'd run on my laptop and now I have a version I can play on my HDTV, so it's a win in my book.

People were counting on Heavenly Sword and Lair to break the curse of the poor initial lineup. But those wound up being turds.
Have you actually played Heavely Sword? It's good.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Rackhir said:
There's also Warhawk and Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction out now. By all accounts R&C is not only a great game, but blows away anything available on the 360.

By all accounts?

Heh.

Under what set of guidelines is it a universal thing that R&C blows away Gears of War? I mean, I know it's hyperbole, but darned if I'd let my system purchase come down to Ratchet and Clank.

I've heard real good things about Warhawk, but I don't like Multiplayer Only, so not a big draw for me either. Heavenly Sword I've played in the demo and it was icky.

I liked CoD2 a lot for 360, and I'd think Fall of Man was probably equivalent for PS3, good game that people liked, but ultimately forgettable and forgotten.

Oddly, for Oblivion, everyone said the PC version was best, never really heard a comparison for PS3 vs 360.

For FEAR, again, PC version is an order of magnitude above the console. From what I've heard, the PS3 version is even worse than the 360 version.

To the OP: I own a console because I like to play while on the internet. TV isn't exactly filling the space, as there are few shows I watch. Your situation seems to be the opposite, the TV is needed while you're gaming, so probably a better bet for a new computer.

Vocenoctum

First Post
And another thing!

Controllers.
I'm not talking rumble or no, but simply the feel of the thing. The PS controllers have always been a bit off for me, and the PS3 is even worse. The 360 controller fits my hand great. (I haven't tried the Wii arrangement, but the Gamecube was nearly hand crippling.)

The 360 is always touted as too FPS-ey, but that has at least resulted in triggers that don't suck.

Mallus

Legend
Vocenoctum said:
Oddly, for Oblivion, everyone said the PC version was best, never really heard a comparison for PS3 vs 360.
The reviews I've seen give a very slight edge to the PS3 version, and that's probably due to the lengthier development time.

Simplicity

Explorer
Mallus said:
You mean 'the same amount of money as it costs to buy a 360 with a comparable hardware loadout'?

The reason Microsoft does so well is because they know that people buy software not hardware. If Sony plays this same stupid game again, they'll lose in the same stupid way that most of Microsoft's competitors have. So, no. I don't care if the PS3 comes with a micro-singularity inside. If they don't get some good games, they aren't going to succeed.

Cable companies are going to learn the same lesson in a few years, though it may be Sony who beats Microsoft to the punch with IPTV. Who knows...

And I little confused as to why Oblivion is a plus for the 360 and minus for the PS3? I have the PS3 version and it's quite nice. There's no way in hell it'd run on my laptop and now I have a version I can play on my HDTV, so it's a win in my book.

Have you actually played Heavely Sword? It's good.

I put Oblivion on both sides as pluses (though admittedly I didn't create the release list for PS3. Since that'd be one title long, it's not very interesting anyways). As for Heavenly Sword... I have played it. It was called God of War. And it used to not cost $60 for a whole six hours of play.

Simplicity

Explorer
That said, I always chuckle when I hear about PS3 owners playing Oblivion. Oblivion? Yeah? You mean that game I had 7 months before your console even came out? How's that going for you? It's pretty good huh? Yeah. It was good. Remember Voltron? Yeah, that was cool too.

Rackhir

Explorer
Vocenoctum said:
By all accounts?

Heh.

Under what set of guidelines is it a universal thing that R&C blows away Gears of War? I mean, I know it's hyperbole, but darned if I'd let my system purchase come down to Ratchet and Clank.

Penny Arcade said:
The new Ratchet & Clank is a marvel, further proof that Insomniac is the surest thing that platform has going for it. You'll travel to lush, hitch-free worlds where the brutal load times found in other Playstation titles are nowhere to be found. It's something everyone with the system will be playing, and it's executed at a level that should generate jealousy in the non-owner. I don't know if it's enough to make someone pick it up, but we're moving into that territory. I imagine it largely depends on whether they've heard the sound it makes when you pick up bolts. I know that our desire to obtain bolts is second only to our desire to obtain even more bolts, and this is due largely to its captivating jingle slash jangle.

Every time you play a demo, and there's something not quite right about it, you think "Oh, maybe they'll fix this before release" but they never do, and you pop in the final only to be greeted by the same issues. The R&C demo (technically, the "R&CF:ToD" demo) was a few ebullient, engaging scenes marred by some fairly vicious graphical tearing. I expected this tearing to persist in the final product, but I was having so much fun with it that I didn't care. Imagine my surprise when the retail disc retains the amusement I described earlier, only it runs like a Swiss watch. What a profound luxury it must be to focus on a single platform.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/829/829409p1.html

I've seen other similar reviews in other places I can't think of at the moment.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Rackhir said:
I've seen other similar reviews in other places I can't think of at the moment.

You've seen reviews claiming Ratchet & Clank Future blows away every title on the Xbox 360? That's very doubtful.

Good game, yes. Better than every game out there? No.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads