• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC, Xbox 360 or PS3?

Chaldfont

First Post
I'm getting the distinct impression that the Chalfant Budget Committee will be unfriendly to any requests for emergency entertainment payments of that magnitude until at least the new year.

In other words: My wife gave me that look when I mentioned it.

John Crichton

First Post
Chaldfont said:
I'm getting the distinct impression that the Chalfant Budget Committee will be unfriendly to any requests for emergency entertainment payments of that magnitude until at least the new year.

In other words: My wife gave me that look when I mentioned it.
Doh.

And just to add some content...

I'd go with the 360 for now but if you aren't buying for 6+ months it's best to check back sometime in March. :)

Enforcer

Explorer
I got my Xbox 360 on Saturday, it's already fun as hell. I especially love the Xbox Arcade. Catan, Carcassone, and Golden Axe? Yes please!

Halo 3 should be arriving any day now, thanks to credit card reward points. I bought the Orange Box with the console, and the console came with Forza 2 and Marvel Alliance. Pretty sweet deal.

freebfrost

Explorer
Chaldfont said:
Which do you guys like best?
Well, I fall into the hardcore gaming category, as I have all of toys you list - including a Alienware gaming PC.

By far I spend much more time on the Xbox 360 these days. My Wii is fun for my step-daughter and for party games, but not much else that holds my interest. The PS3 sure does a great job of playing my DVDs and my PS2 games... I've only purchased one game for it after a year. The PC works great, but its usually more of hassle to patch, update drivers, etc. than just using the 360. It's telling that as a big fan of the Command & Conquer games and I never considered getting the PC version.

I should also mention that I've been a huge shill for Sony's platforms since the PS1, and I still cannot recommend anything other than the 360. The amount of quality games, the well-integrated Live Arcade and online gaming functionality, and a fine controller scheme too.

Mallus

Legend
freebfrost said:
The PS3 sure does a great job of playing my DVDs and my PS2 games... I've only purchased one game for it after a year.
If you're at all interested in shooty platformers, get Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. I bought it over the weekend and it promptly ate most of Sunday afternoon. Lovely to look at and plays very nicely.

Unless you're dying for Blu-ray (which, thanks to Comcasts paltry HD lineup in Philly, I was), it's hard to argue with going with a 360 right now. And on that note, what's really good for the 360 aside from Bioshock, Gears, and Halo 3? I'm going to trade systems w/a buddy of mine in a few months. What should encourage him to buy for his 360 before then (or rent after we switch)?

freebfrost

Explorer
Mallus said:
And on that note, what's really good for the 360 aside from Bioshock, Gears, and Halo 3? I'm going to trade systems w/a buddy of mine in a few months. What should encourage him to buy for his 360 before then (or rent after we switch)?

Well, depending on what genres he likes: Ace Combat 6, Guitar Hero III, Oblivion, The Orange Box, Forza 2, Rainbox Six Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Command and Conquer 3, NBA 2K8, Madden 2008, Eternal Sonata, Dead Rising...

On Live Arcade, Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Prince of Persia Classic, Uno, Catan, Doom, Carcassone, Geometry Wars...

There's plenty of good stuff out there.

ohGr

First Post
freebfrost said:
Well, depending on what genres he likes: Ace Combat 6, Guitar Hero III, Oblivion, The Orange Box, Forza 2, Rainbox Six Vegas, Call of Duty 3, Command and Conquer 3, NBA 2K8, Madden 2008, Eternal Sonata, Dead Rising...
I'll second Oblivion, Orange Box, Rainbow Six: Vegas and Dead Rising (haven't played the rest). I'd also add Crackdown to the mix; best surprise of the year, for me. Very fun.

Chaldfont

First Post
Enforcer said:
I got my Xbox 360 on Saturday, it's already fun as hell. I especially love the Xbox Arcade. Catan, Carcassone, and Golden Axe? Yes please!

Halo 3 should be arriving any day now, thanks to credit card reward points. I bought the Orange Box with the console, and the console came with Forza 2 and Marvel Alliance. Pretty sweet deal.

Did you say Catan... Online? Sweet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads