PCGen 5.11.14 beta released

Mercule

Adventurer
That seems like a high version number. Are there some major changes coming that I'm not gleaming from the chagelog? Are we getting close to 5.12? How compatible are 5.10 datasets?

Sorry, but I'm not up to betaware at the moment, but I'm curious about PCGen progress.

Elodan

Adventurer
Couple of questions.

Is there work being done on a way to upgrade PCGen? The default behavior is that PCGen is created in it's own subfolder which means I have to rebuild my point buys, redo settings, etc.

There's an issue in the GMGen initiative tracker when you have the setting to not roll the PCs initiative. After a combat, you later start a new combat and whenever you try to manually enter the PC's initiative it resets a monster's initiative and leaves the PC's at zero. I thought I saw this reported as a bug that was going to be fixed in 5.12. Do the betas not have these fixes?

Thanks.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Mercule said:
That seems like a high version number. Are there some major changes coming that I'm not gleaming from the chagelog? Are we getting close to 5.12? How compatible are 5.10 datasets?

Sorry, but I'm not up to betaware at the moment, but I'm curious about PCGen progress.
Very good question.
Also without support of 'Official Datasets' those that bought the last ones available will want those to last through these upgrades. When you make that big jump to V6 eventually, what is the plan in handling that?

Yeti

thpr

First Post
Mercule said:
That seems like a high version number. Are there some major changes coming that I'm not gleaming from the chagelog?

The changelog only represents changes from 5.11.13 to 5.11.14. You would have to visit the Documentation Page and view all of the PCGen v5.11.x items to get all of the cumulative changes for PCGen 5.11 (soon to be 5.12). I am not aware that they are summarized; that seems like a good idea to do for 5.12.

Mercule said:
Are we getting close to 5.12?

Yes. It is possible that the next release (5.11.15) is actually RC1, though I suspect that question will be visited just before the 5.11.15 release, depending on how many of the remaining issues for 5.12 are closed.

Mercule said:
How compatible are 5.10 datasets?

Theoretically, it will fully read and operate on 5.10 data. I can't speak for 100% coverage since I didn't write all the new code ;)

There are a number of Tokens that have been deprecated and will cause warnings to be displayed on data load. These tokens will be removed before PCGen 6.0, so personal datasets will need to be updated.

Elodan said:
Is there work being done on a way to upgrade PCGen? The default behavior is that PCGen is created in it's own subfolder which means I have to rebuild my point buys, redo settings, etc.

I am unaware of how much consideration has been put into this, though you have a good point. I'll fire off a note on the PCGen boards to find out.

Elodan said:
There's an issue in the GMGen initiative tracker...I thought I saw this reported as a bug that was going to be fixed in 5.12. Do the betas not have these fixes?

Short Version: beta doesn't mean we think everything is ready for production. We release as a beta when a particlar version is "feature complete" (from a new feature standpoint); we then spend the "beta phase" fixing bugs before it is sent out as a release candidate (and then production). Thus, we are currently bug whacking in the 5.11.* tree as part of the beta cycle... and yes, the Bug you refer to is still listed as "To be Fixed in 5.12" - so it should happen during the beta phase.

Mercule

Adventurer
Elodan said:
There's an issue in the GMGen initiative tracker when you have the setting to not roll the PCs initiative. After a combat, you later start a new combat and whenever you try to manually enter the PC's initiative it resets a monster's initiative and leaves the PC's at zero.

I ran into something similar, though I let it roll for intiative. Mine was manually tweaking hit points (which I do for certain effects). It appears to me that there is a discrepancy between the way the UI sends the back-end the index numbers and how it reacts to receiving them. I don't remember which way it is, but one way it counts hidden/dead combatants and the other way it doesn't.

The solution that worked for me was to check "Show Dead Combatants" (or uncheck it, if the box says "Hide", I don't remember which it is). Try that to see if it works.

Last week I discovered a similar issue if you rearrange the columns during combat. I moved the "Status" column and hit points started updating strangely. That should probably be trackered, too (I'm not sure how to submit it, though).

thpr

First Post
Mercule said:
The solution that worked for me was to check "Show Dead Combatants" (or uncheck it, if the box says "Hide", I don't remember which it is). Try that to see if it works.

You, are, umm, "dead on" with your workaround (pardon the pun). Thanks for observing that, it definitely helped in finding the problem.

I just fixed this and the other Initiative errors in PCGen related to status and dead PCs/Monsters, so 5.11.15 will have those included (or you can grab our daily build a day or two from now)

TP.

Remove ads