• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PCGen releases PCGen v5.9.3 Alpha

Anurien

First Post
Sorry to tag this on here, but I was curious as to what's happening in the Java world. Now that the fisticuffs with the BoR is over, are there any plans to bring out a new version of Java? Being a slave to the beast I don't often get a chance to delve into the world of non-beasty software.

JimAde

First Post
Anurien said:
Sorry to tag this on here, but I was curious as to what's happening in the Java world. Now that the fisticuffs with the BoR is over, are there any plans to bring out a new version of Java? Being a slave to the beast I don't often get a chance to delve into the world of non-beasty software.
Ok. I program Java for a living and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :)

BoR?

Java 5 is still relatively recent, so I don't know that a new version is needed.

Why would we know this?

Am I completely misinterpreting the post?

Anurien

First Post
BoR = Beast of Redmond = Microsoft :)

Java 5? Wow, I'm sure its only a year or so since I downloaded 2.something to try out PCGen. I guess it must be longer than that.

Am I completely misinterpreting the post?

I think so, I was just bored and looking to start a conversation.

kingpaul

First Post
Anurien said:
Java 5? Wow, I'm sure its only a year or so since I downloaded 2.something to try out PCGen. I guess it must be longer than that.
Quite. :)

The data in the 2.x sereies of PCGen wasn't done under any license. It was the thought that it was covered by 'fair use'. However, PCGen sat down with WotC at GenCon '02, and WotC informed us that doing what we were doing was infringing upon their copyright.

3.0 came out shortly after that as a d20STL compliant piece of software (yes, its possible).

We've sinced dropped the d20STL and have gone to just OGL.

Anurien

First Post
3.0 came out shortly after that as a d20STL compliant piece of software (yes, its possible)

:lol:

I gave up in the end. There's only so many times you can read the d20 Software FAQ before you begin losing the will to live.

In all seriousness though the No Covered Product may be an "Interactive Game" clause and its explanation in the Software FAQ seem to make it pretty clear that rolling your ability scores and 'in-play' tools such as calculating attack rolls etc. are forbidden under d20.

Bit strange really, they must have got a very strange wording of 'Interactive Game' into their contract with Atari/Infogrames. I mean, how on earth is a tool for helping out at the gaming table a 'game'? It's not like you can while away the hours playing with yourself is it?

I really should insert DnD into that last sentence somewhere..... :lol:

kingpaul

First Post
Anurien said:
In all seriousness though the No Covered Product may be an "Interactive Game" clause and its explanation in the Software FAQ seem to make it pretty clear that rolling your ability scores and 'in-play' tools such as calculating attack rolls etc. are forbidden under d20.
We had pulled that stuff out while we were following the d20STL. Now that we're only OGL, that stuff is back in.

Greylock

First Post
Please, sir Kingpaul, if there is a basic and updated, working FAQ for installing your datasets, please link it here.

I have searched every permutation of pcgen, dataset, and yourscreenname I can at ENW.

Remove ads