D&D General PCs raiding a city

FXR

Explorer
In our next session, the PCs will embark with the totally-not vikings and participate a raid against an elven city. What the players do not know is that the jarl has awaken frost giants and believe they should rule both totally-not vikings and the elves.

I'm looking for inspiration or complications. There are plenty of pre-written adventures which deal with PCs defending a city during a siege, but there's seem to be none about they participating in the attack.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
I've done this a few times and a few things became apparent rather quickly.

D&D is not a great combat sim, and that is more obvious when you expand the scope of the conflict. This can be avoided by steering the PCs into a more isolated portion of the battle. Remember in Prince of Persia (the movie) when old boy infiltrates the city through a minor gate with a small band of irregular troops? Perfect. How about sapping, or counter-sapping, that breaks into tunnel fighting? Taking out a band of insert dangerous elven ally here that are crushing your troops. Sneaking over/under/through the wall to sabotage catapults or assassinate leadership. Defending your leaders from an enemy strike team. Smashing through enemy defensive positions inside the city once the walls are breached works well also, and can be a great opportunity to fight NPC sub-commanders trying to rally the troops.

If you DO want that big battle feel then you need to be thoughtful in planning encounters. Random arrow fire, either a volley every few rounds or a constant 1d4 per round, can add realism. Fights should have reinforcements every round or two (for either/both sides,) unless it becomes a duel between elites. Flying creatures can fall/dive out of the sky. Siege weapons and spells should change the battlefield periodically. I was a big fan of mapping groups of combat around the edges of a small encounter area and anyone that got close to those fights might prompt a reaction from friend or foe there. Sometimes, let the PCs carve a path of destruction through groups of mooks, but when this happens the enemy forces should react by dispatching elites (or wizards) to counter the PCs and rally the survivors.

As for the outcome of the battle, you can predetermine the outcome logically or randomly if you want, but I always like to base the battle outcome on the players' actions. If they succeed, then so does their army. There is another process from a 3e/3.5 book called Heroes of Battle that suggests assigning points to different objectives and determining the outcome based on how many points the PCs can obtain. Might be worth looking up.

Edit: vs elves, be ready for the PCs to suggest burning everything. The forest, the city, small children, your DM screen... have an answer for why fire isn't the answer. Could be as simple as the army wanting booty and fires getting out of control, but you need to be ready for that.

I'd love to offer more specifics, but you'd need to detail the city, inhabitants, surrounding area, and possibly allies/enemies/political climate, etc.

Last edited:

I would think the easiest part of having PCs involved in a raid scenario would be to serve as covering skirmishers to disguise whatever the real goal of the attack would be. Personally, I'm with the 'burn it all down' approach - let the party come tearing in on horseback, causing mayhem while the real assault is going on - to murder the king, to loot the treasury, whatever. Being mobile will help them because their goal is to just cause chaos and ride from one side of the city to another - personally, I'm thinking along the lines of some of the raiders in the American Civil War, or even the general bandits.

And I think it could make for an awesome reveal to be like 'Okay, you've made your distractions. The exfil flare has gone off, all you have to do is escape...' and then describe the lumbering frost giants closing in on the town to kill the PCs AND the elves. Fade to black, end session.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The elves have a high level of awareness - animal friends, fey, great scouts.

I'm assuming that the viking travel inland via ship on some river? If that is the case, the ships should be attacked by flaming arrows from the shore before they even reach the elven city.

Also, what numbers were we talking here? How big is this city?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm looking for inspiration or complications.
Need a complication?

the PCs will . . . participate a raid against an elven city
There's your complication. Raiding a camp or outpost is one thing. Attacking a city is an entire campaign. It doesn't help that frost giants are going to show up and ruin everything.

More helpful: the totally-not-vikings and PCs show up to the "elven city" and all they find is a small camp. "Um, where did the city go?"

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm looking for inspiration or complications. There are plenty of pre-written adventures which deal with PCs defending a city during a siege, but there's seem to be none about they participating in the attack.

What I would do, is take one of the modules on defending during a seige, and reverse it. What are the bad guys trying to do in the module? Whatever it is, have the PCs do that instead!

Strongholds and Followers has a good module for this, plus rules on sieges.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
The elves have a high level of awareness - animal friends, fey, great scouts.

I'm assuming that the viking travel inland via ship on some river? If that is the case, the ships should be attacked by flaming arrows from the shore before they even reach the elven city.

What he said.

Elves aren't typically portrayed as having a stout, static defense. They run an active layered defense. What does that mean for you? Ambushes. Counter offensives. Nighttime raids. All with silent, hidden archers that fade away at the first signs of resistance, only to reappear from another direction. Your attackers should absolutely hate elves by the end of this adventure.

I'd suggest that the elves use magical scrying, animal messengers and good old fashioned hidden scouts to always know where and when the attackers are doing something, and to eradicate any scouting parties the attackers send. This means that while the attackers are in the dark, the defenders can move at will and attack from unexpected directions. Truthfully, unless the not-vikings have a significant numbers advantage (like 5:1 or higher) this sounds like a losing proposition.

The more I think about this the more I want to set up a similar scenario in my own campaign. Elves should be scary.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I mean... elven cities should be very rare and very old. Those that do exist would be fiercely defended, in ways that would baffle/defeat "non-Viking" raiders. Ancient magics would surround it with illusion and confusion. I'm not even sure how the raiders are finding the city...

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Raiding a city is actually much easier to run for PCs IMHO. Any raid is going to involve some sort of infiltration or surprise attack on a critical location.

These are perfect places for PCs to shine.

A series of encounters could go something like

1. Arrival by Water: longboats slip in under cover of darkness (maybe some fog in the case of elven defenders). PCs are part of this initial attack, and must silence the dock guards to prevent the alarm from breaking out.

2. Capture the Gatehouse: having moved past the docks, the next step is to capture a critical gatehouse. Speed of attack and surprise are critical, so once again cue the PCs

3. Etc.

Basically as the raid turns into a running battle you the GM can simply describe what is happening in the background. The scope of the critical encounters where the PCs step to the center stage are far more manageable.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
I mean... elven cities should be very rare and very old. Those that do exist would be fiercely defended, in ways that would baffle/defeat "non-Viking" raiders. Ancient magics would surround it with illusion and confusion. I'm not even sure how the raiders are finding the city...

Maybe the elves are in decline, and their power is but a shadow of their former level?

Remove ads