• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDAs at the Game Table

What type of PDA do you (or would you) use at the gaming table?

• PalmOS (Palm, Handspring, Sony, etc.)

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • PocketPC (iPaq, Dell, etc.)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I don't use a PDA at the gaming table

Votes: 13 32.5%

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
BTW, which is better: Palm-powered PDA or WinCE PocketPC? And I don't mean just the special features but performance.

In my experience, I've found that I prefer PalmOS. My first PDA was a Compaq Aero running Windows CE 2.1 (or 2.2? Whatever came right before "PocketPC", which was WinCE 3.0). I eventually switched over to a Handspring Visor. While the color on the Aero was nice, it was a bit heavier and clunkier, and I found the Visor to be faster for switching tasks, searching, etc. The handwriting recognition on the Palm seemed better too; for me it was simpler and more intuitive. Another nice thing about the Visor was that it was powered by a couple of AA's, so I didn't need to worry about recharging it every night or so, unlike the Aero. However, since I recently upgraded to a Palm m130 (backlit color), this isn't a benefit to me any longer since I have to do the same thing.

I don't have any experience with the newer generation of PocketPCs, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they've improved since I first used them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads