• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pedantic pet peeves

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But, when you pronounce "individual" you add a "w" between the u and the a. There's no stop between the two vowels. Try to pronounce it without that "w" in there and it's really difficult.

In class I always use the following sentence: I am going to a party. How do you say that? "I yam go wing to wa par tee"

What you don't say is Part ee. You never start a syllable with a vowel in English. ((Barring cognates and the odd science word that I honestly couldn't begin to pronounce anyway. :D )) But, do you actually pronounce the two a's in molengraaffite? Or is it simply pronounced as "graphite"?

"Individual" starts with a syllable. As do all the other words in my -- not as amusing as I probably think it is -- sentence.

jasper

Rotten DM
1. Player knowledge wanting to be pc knowledge. And I not talking about Morrus (he would can quote page number, comma splices, and coffee stains of the monster manual), but the type " I know the formula of black powder can my Bilbo Baggins make a musket" types.
2. " But but my last dm said I could " whines CaptZapp on hearing he could not bring in his version of the Starship Enterprise into my world.
3. "If it printed it must be allowed!" One of the reason I did core books only when 3E came out.
4. Loremasters. Lordmaster, " but in page 66 third paragraph of " Stradh vs Drizz't" it says New York City is really just another name for London England". These people complain if you get the buttons of the Waterdeep city guard wrong. Forgetting than the system has change. And the DM controls the setting.

neobolts

Explorer

jasper

Rotten DM
2. " But but my last dm said I could " whines CaptZapp on hearing he could not bring in his version of the Starship Enterprise into my world.
Yeah, if you know me I throw a tantrum each time I can't have disruptors in my D&D! ��

In other words: huh?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app
Change out disrupters for
UA class the dm does not like.
Automatic magic item for class build.
PHB Class that the DM has banned in his homebrew campaign and has already told the group it is banned.
Crazy homebrew rule or ruling on spell which is wonky. EX Monks make DC 15 Con Save. If successful take no damage. Or fireballs do double damage to creatures of cold climates.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
"Skill checks"

There's no such thing as a skill check in 5th edition. They are ability checks, and anyone can make them whether or not you're proficient in whatever skill is attached. (Which is a distinction worth making for my table, cause I play with a lot of folk who only played 3rd and 5th, and 3rd had all sorts of rules surrounding skill checks that no longer apply.)

To a lesser extent, but far more pedantic, leaving the ability off of the ability check. It's a 'dexterity (stealth) check', not a 'stealth check'.

I pulled up the SRD (easy to search) and show where it was in use ... and couldn't find it. You're right. I won't call them skill checks anymore.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Bit late to the party, but, I always pronounced it mi-ni-TOR. As in the mini from miniature. Hey, there's a pet peeve of mine. In English, ALL syllables begin with a consonant. Min-o-tor is NOT how you pronounce that, no matter which way you say the vowels.

BTW, if you don't believe me, why do you add a w to the middle of going. Or a y to the middle of piano?

Even later to the party, I pronounce it Throatwarblerer Mangrove.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Aye. Not ever.
This one was inevitable, but...
inconceivable.jpg

Remove ads