D&D 5E Pedantic pet peeves

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It annoys me when people post up alternate rules without saying what they are going for / what problem they are fixing. There's plenty of times when something is not my particular boat but if I understand what they are looking for I can comment helpfully.

This is especially true is "Solution for X" threads, where it's assumed that everyone both agrees that X has a problem and everyone thinks it's the same problem. I'm fine these threads, just please bring us up to speed on what your goal is so that we can all be on the same page for the discussion.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Thank you for your service!

However, the use of "chopper" as American military slang for helicopter was documented at least as early as the Korean War (between 1950-53, depending on which historian you read).

The last one I checked was:
Arne Olofsson
American Speech
Vol. 65, No. 3 (Autumn, 1990), pp. 278-284
Published by: Duke University Press

OH, I know the military uses that slang. But no one who actually works with helicopters ;) Just those poor, ignorant grunts ;)

Radar O'riley says you is wrong. Of course he had them landing in the compound when they were landing on the landing pad.

Radar was also reading comic books from the 60s in a show that took place in the 50s, so he's not very accurate ;) And he's not aviation either.

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

A pet peeve of mine used to be when people would spell rogue as rouge but now when I see it I just sit there feeling superior.

I had the opposite fun with this recently. In my work we were dealing with an company with the name Rouge in it (as in Rouge River, Mi). Everyone kept spelling it Rogue.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Something I have to keep telling my group...

Stealth is NOT a verb

And we are Brits, therefore US pronunciations are not acceptable, especially Minotaur and Satyr.

Plus the list goes on:
- people pluralising Dwarf to Dwarves. It is Dwarfs.
- Dwarfs and Halflings being able to use magic - no, just no
- Playable monster races - no, just no
- "I grab it", "I take it", "I saw it first"

That reminds me of a response by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear

Question from an American: Why do you pronounce "jaguar" that way?
Clarkson: Because that's how it's spelled.

:D

Thank you for your service!

However, the use of "chopper" as American military slang for helicopter was documented at least as early as the Korean War (between 1950-53, depending on which historian you read).

The last one I checked was:
Arne Olofsson
American Speech
Vol. 65, No. 3 (Autumn, 1990), pp. 278-284
Published by: Duke University Press

It is, however, NOT the preferred nomenclature, Dude.

Oofta

Legend
Players who say thing like "I tell the king that he smells like my old dogs derriere".

When the king is pissed the player then says "Wait, I didn't really say that."

Remove ads