• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pen and Paper D&D over the PC?

M.A.T.T.

First Post
My quick big-up

I discovered Fantasy Grounds (FG) a few months back. I was looking for a solution to online DnD. I had seen a few progs, i.e. Klooge Works and OpenRPG, but they just never felt right. And were hideously laid out.

FG is great, it's clean simple and works. As a group we've been using it in conjunction with voice software (TeamSpeak) so there is no problem with different peoples typing or reading speed. :)

We have run several games, with various numbers of player, 2 to 5 and it works really well. A brilliant solution that will only get better with time. If you want to a virtual table-top to sit round and play use FG. Its the best on the market and with more users it will grow and get better.. :D

M.A.T.T.

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
Another plug

I run an FG game for 4-6 gamers at a time using VoiP (Ventrilo) and it is the cat's meow and then some.

Wizards has all of their Map A Month downloads still available, Dungeon/Paizo has the last 8 issues worth of maps to use - plus npc pics.

I have played more D&D in the last few months with FG than I have using face-to-face gaming.

It's an enabler and emulator all in one!

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com
Currently Running: The Shadows Rise - A Forgotten Realms campaign www.naturaltwenty.com/realms.htm
small_logo.gif

Seeten

First Post
Again, I am willing to host a teamspeak server with multiple rooms/games, available 24/7 to ENworld users for use with FG and other online based RPG's.

You can get in touch with me at seeten at gmail dot com

punkorange

First Post
I dont so much know that I would want to use voip if I was dming online. I can type much more fluently than I can speak, especially when I am coming up with stuff on the fly, and most especially if I don't know you irl.

rvalle

First Post
Yeah, I agree. If you know the people and know their voice its one thing but get 6 people you don't know all talking on voip...? Not so good I think, but I could be wrong.

rv

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I actually just received my copy of the WLD and luckily through these boards I have found electronic files of the maps - with and without all the hidden stuff on them. So it should be easy as sin to do the mapping in FG or any of those. Now if I could convince the buddies I game with to get FG... that would be fun.
:)

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I played with Sandman from these very boards for my first FG session ever. The prgram was great, and I was especially impressed with seeing the map uncovered. There was the first game of campaign/frist FG session kinks that we had to work out at the start. It wasn't overly taxing, or too out of the ordinary. By the end things were going smoothely. You can take notes, see maps, place markers, interact with party members and npc's. all of it.

Orius

Legend
Wolfspirit said:
Not lame, online D&D can be really fun. There are some downsides compared to PnP (a HUGE player turnover, various technical difficulties), but it can be a great way to RP.

I used to do the online gaming thing, but gave it up over a year ago. The TITANIC (huge, nothing) player turnover is what finally turned me off. I got tired of trying to put together a game and have maybe two regular players, plus the occaisonal gamer of the week who'd leave after a session or two. It was tough to work new players into the game, since sometimes they'd write up background that didn't fit into the campaign at all, or they'd write no background, and weren't at all interested in the campaign that had developed. I think the fact that everyone was complete strangers to each other helped to kill off group stability as well. I'd have to constantly try to recruit new players, and I was lucky when I managed to retain one for 2 or 3 months. And it wasn't just my game, a couple of other groups I was involved with disintegrated for the same reason mine finally did.

Remove ads