Pathfinder 2E PF2E Gurus teach me! +

Roll20 is tokens on a battle mat. If you want any automation of the complex systems, Foundry is your best bet.
Roll20 for PF2 is a step above Owlbear Rodeo.
We currently use Roll20 for 5e, so I'm familiar with it. I was mostly wondering how well does PF2e run on it.

You're not the first person I've heard say Foundry takes care of some of PF2e's complexity, could someone elaborate on that?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We currently use Roll20 for 5e, so I'm familiar with it. I was mostly wondering how well does PF2e run on it.

You're not the first person I've heard people say Foundry takes care of some of PF2e's complexity, could someone elaborate on that?
Sure. The character sheets have a lot of drag and drop capability. Also, there are easy button clicks that add your level to all your stats and rolls, but also apply any penalties due to conditions. There is a bit more but thats the skinny.

You're not the first person I've heard say Foundry takes care of some of PF2e's complexity, could someone elaborate on that?
Had done roll20 for like 7 years for various 5e games.

From a player side, I can tell you right now I'd rather set up a level 10 PF2e character (with class feats, ancestry feats, skill feats, general feats, gear and all) on Foundry, than set up a level 3 5e character on roll20.

It does more, looks better, and performs better. It's a generational difference in platform capabilities, and the gap continues to grow with each new release.

Edit: and all that was true even before their official partnership with Paizo as the go-to VTT for PF2e.

Retreater

Legend
Oh, I was saying that Roll20 basically is just tokens on a map for PF2e. The character sheet and die rolling is functional, but only barely above what dice bots can do.
Oh yes. Yes, I can. :)
1) Imagine having every monster, class, feat, magic item completely at your fingertips to look up in the compendium (by default), free, ready to drop and drag.
2) Imagine having a browser to search for monsters by level, filtered by type, size, etc. Or magic items. Or spells. Ready to drop and drag, for free.
3) Imagine buying a PDF from Paizo and clicking a button to have maps with dynamic lighting, tokens placed, journal tabs, etc., ready like a professionally adapted Roll20 adventure. For the cost of the PDF you bought. (Thanks to FryGuy - these are available again.)
4) Imagine putting conditions on your character token, having those conditions automatically impact your character (Like if you're frightened 2, that automatically deducts from your AC, saves, attack bonuses, etc.)
5) If you have persistent damage, it rolls the damage for you and reminds you to roll your save.
6) Damage can be put on a token, absorbed by shields if needed.
7) You can roll group checks. You can roll saves for a group of monsters hit by a fireball, for instance.

Not only is Foundry the best VTT to experience PF2, in my opinion, it's the best way to play the system period.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Its a bit mix and match as you go, yes? There's nothing stopping one from taking feats as long as the pre-reqs are there?

There's two slightly different cases. Class Archetypes you can only take one of according to the core book; far as I can tell, these are all the Archetypes that are not essentially Multiclassing Archetypes. You can take more than one Multiclass Archetype (or combine any number of them with a Class Archetype) but at least all the ones I've seen you have to do a three-feat buy-in before you can take a second, so there's no "I just grab the first feat for what I want and move on" like the one-level dips in 3e.

JThursby

Adventurer
Its a bit mix and match as you go, yes? There's nothing stopping one from taking feats as long as the pre-reqs are there?
There is the opportunity cost of having to take an Archetype's Dedication as a feat in and of itself, but there are ways around that (an Elf heritage and a Human feat respectively). Archetypes in 2e are more like a very light and casual version of Prestige Classes in 3.5, in that you exchange some of your classes features whenever you go into them, but since it's only feats you eat up your core features remain on track. They're also very flexible, as just like any feat you can Retrain into or out of them as you so choose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases