[pfrpg] follow me into shadows

ghostcat

First Post
[sblock=movement] If you're doing nothing but Run, right? It's a full-round action. If you pick up your Backpack, that's a move action. Do you want to keep your backpack or run?

But yeah, full-round action to Run. And I believe you can move through an ally's square, too, so if someone's slower than you are.

I'll... need to double check on the swarm vs. movement. I don't think it is, though.

Come to think of it, unless a Swarm can take a run movement, you may be able to escape the range of the swarm. hah! Joke's on me. I have to go to work, but I'll double-check my notes on this homebrew-baddy when I'm done.
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Edited previous move. Part about trying to grab backpack is just fluff. Full round actions is to RUN AWAY :)[/sblock]

fireinthedust

Explorer
Okay, I've done the math.

Most of the party can get out, as the Haste spell and Julius' full round Run can get them a long distance in 6 rounds (the duration of the spell). You're all up to the main floor in 6 rounds, except Julius who's easily at the Skeleton room.

Unfortunately, Ragnor is Nauseated for 1d4 rounds even after getting away from the swarm. That means only a move action each round, which means that he can't full-round Run.

Because the Ranger and Kain can get away with Haste, I suppose they could grab Ragnor; but I'm not sure if they could really help him up the whole way. The three or even just two of them would be dragging this much slower guy up; potentially carrying him could work.

Thing is, the Swarm's speed is 40, and that's without Haste. it isn't hampered by moving through the small stairwell, as it has its own passages up. It's going to get to the Skeleton room at about the same time Julius gets there.

What I'm saying is that Ragnor is going to be taking average 7 damage every round for 5 rounds, while the Haste spell is going on. Even more than this, the creature will stay on him until he dies.

Is the party going to leave him? Does he have another escape plan, one that works despite being Nauseated for potentially the entire time it's on him?

ideas?

Ragnor: What do you do to get out of this? You have 6 rounds of actions, with the swarm constantly on your the whole way through.

Everyone: is anyone stopping to help Ragnor?

If not, what do you do when you get to the surface? Elapsed time: 6 rounds of Haste.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Jack, already having returned part of the way, will continue until he gets to Ragnor. When he sees the sorcerer's distress he will heft him up onto his back and run for the exit.

Sindri will, when he reaches the surface, activate Bond Senses in order to sense what Jack is experiencing down below. When he sees the dilemma he will activate his Maker's Call to summon Jack and Ragnor as per Dimension Door to him. If necessary, Sindri will use Life Link to prevent damage to Jack to keep him from being sent back to the outer planes.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
just checking if it includes other people. If so, that basically means you have an at-will teleport in combat, and that's insanely powerful... but it is okay according to what i'm reading about DD. wow. GlassEye, you've just shown me how broken Summoner can be (at least in an E6 game, which is what I tend to run at home). Granted, it's not like you can travel to other spots from the sumoner that way, but instant recall with friends... wow. This would have been so much simpler if Jack had gone across with Julius and just ported him away!

I commend you with a bonus 100xp for that.

Okay, so combat has been going for two round, then six rounds of running away, and we see Julius in the Skeleton room, and everyone else on the surface.

Kain decided not to run, as an Oracle of Gorum never runs from battle; however, punching the swarm only got it to devour him faster. With a horrific shriek the flesh is devoured from his skeletal body, leaving only wet bones and torn equipment.

NEW ROUND

Julius: you're in the room with all the skeletons. Their bones, armor, and long blades still lie around the room. The Swarm is at the doorway. Its chorus of horrific voices, chanting their strange mantra, echo throughout the chamber here. It's beginning to unnerve you; the voices following you up the tight steps, the bugs nipping at you and flooding the area with their bodies and their noise. The presence in the Gem gives you what encouragement it can, though it is obviously terrified of the swarm. It gives you light from the gem as best it can so you can see.

Are you going to stand and fight, or keep running?

Everyone Else: You're in the Temple area. You can hear the swarm below. A moment ago you could hear Kain's battle cry turn into a shriek and suddenly stop dead.

What do you do?

Then the Swarm will go.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Sindri doesn't know what to do and he's nearly out of spells. In a near panic he runs back to the gear left above and starts rooting through it looking for something, anything with which to make a fire.

Once Ragnor is delivered safely, Jack will stand to oppose the swarm. He knows it will likely end in his return to the planes beyond...

[sblock=OOC]Also remember that our characters were made up with the APG playtest, not the final version. Several things were toned down and Jack wouldn't quite be the combat monster that he is now if he had been converted to the final version. Maker's Call does appear to be the same, however, and this situation is ideal for its use. I thought about sending Jack across to the pedestal but he can't jump worth a darn.[/sblock]

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
Thinking of the gem, Julius continues to run out of the temple and away from the swarm, when he gets out he will see if the sky is clear, if it is, he will smash the stone, assuming the swarm is out of sight, else he will see if there is a horse in the camp and will take that as far away from the swarm as he can.

ghostcat

First Post
Angus reaches the top of the stairs and runs into the temple area. Out of breath he bends over, panting and gasping for air until he finally manages to gets his breathing under control. Straightening up and looking round, he see everyone is there except for Kain and Julius. Angus is still working up the courage to go find them, when he hears Julius' footsteps pounding up the stairs and the death cry of Kain. While waiting for Julius to clear the stairs, Angus checks the door to see if closing it will provide a seal against the swarm.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Once Julius reaches the top of the stairs, Keepiru shouts "Smash the gem!". He stands near the doorway with shaking knees while holding aloft the starknife still glowing with the Daylight spell. He readies himself to hurl the weapon at the approaching swarm in a last ditch effort to drive them back so they can escape. He nods at Angus who stands nearby ready to close the door after the last of them escapes the depths.

fireinthedust

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]That's everyone?

Keepiru: can you roll your to-hit with the Star?

Angus: roll a perception check or knowledge: Engineering

Sindri: roll a search check. ...or find me a list of equipment you lads decided upon for the cart. I don't think there was one. In that case, roll to see if the Scholar brought anything.

Follow-up post forthcoming. Yay!
[/sblock]

Remove ads