• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PH(B) Soldier Background (Art is new)

Dice4Hire

First Post
I might be getting the PHB mostly for the backgrounds. They are a great add-on for any kind of game. I'm really not sure if my group is moving on from 4E or not.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I am so happy that there's so much art, and it's so diversified. And I don't (just) mean in regards to types of people, but types of settings! I think it'll go a long way in getting people's imaginations going.

Koloth

First Post
I wonder how well that helmet fits over her hairpin? :) Of course, she could be a ninja disguised as a solder.

Nice to see variation from the standard European armor style.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I might be getting the PHB mostly for the backgrounds. They are a great add-on for any kind of game. I'm really not sure if my group is moving on from 4E or not.
Is this the first PHB that has backgrounds in it? Like 4e had backgrounds in PHB2, and 3.0 had backgrounds in the FRCS, but neither edition had backgrounds in the PHB. I don't think 3.5 did either.

It interesting to me that the backgrounds in 5e are probably the most system portable backgrounds the game has had in at least 14 years given that their the first it's had in the PHB.

mips42

Adventurer
She looks sad to me. not sure how I feel about that, but I like the colors and I like the art style. this and the dwarf are what I was hoping for in the art style. The Tiefling, not so much.
So the PHB so far seems to be Basic rules plus art and extra flavor. Here's hoping for some extra meat, too.

SigmaOne

First Post
She looks sad to me. not sure how I feel about that, but I like the colors and I like the art style. this and the dwarf are what I was hoping for in the art style. The Tiefling, not so much.
So the PHB so far seems to be Basic rules plus art and extra flavor. Here's hoping for some extra meat, too.

It's a good point that the PHB won't exactly have three times the content, being it's three times larger, due to all the extra images. But each image so far is no more than half a page, so it should be at least twice as large. And, it's likely they're previewing those pages specifically that have art. So I'd guess there's at least 2.5 times the amount of content.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads