D&D 5E Phandelver & Below's Full Description

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October. Uncover a new threat to...

81o3h3yBNUL.jpg

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October.

Uncover a new threat to Phandalin in this timeless dungeoneering adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk is a high-fantasy adventure that begins in the beloved town of Phandalin as it faces unimaginable danger. Whether the heroes are newcomers to Phandalin or are returning after the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver, they discover hints of a threat lurking below the town. The heroes soon learn that the cult of a malevolent entity has set its sights on transforming Phandalin into the capital of its evil empire. To save the town from oblivion, the heroes must uncover a nefarious plot and confront the otherworldly cultists directly.
  • Offers new Dungeon Masters and players the opportunity to dive into their first full-fledged Dungeons & Dragons adventure
  • Retains the beloved Lost Mine of Phandelver quests that unfold into a brand-new adventure with classic D&D themes and a tinge of horror
  • Presents a bestiary with approximately two-dozen new creatures that showcase psionic magic, body horror, and more.
  • Provides a magic appendix that includes new consumable metamagic items, Netherese amulets, and duergar magic
  • Includes a double-sided poster map with the Phandalin region on one side and the town of Phandalin plus key encounters in the adventure on the other

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Could a Phaerimm be the main villian, they were the main foes of the ancient Netherese that destroyed their empire. Also that would fit body horror themes.

Phaerimm

Phaerimm are teased in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. There is a taxidermied on one display in the ruined Netherese city of Ythryn, and some lore about them is communicated, and the obelisks are partially explained and are 100% Netherese in origin. No live Phaerimm are encountered in the IWD: RotF, but there is an unusual amount of space given to them that doesn't pay off in the adventure itself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Phaerimm are teased in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. There is a taxidermied on one display in the ruined Netherese city of Ythryn, and some lore about them is communicated, and the obelisks are partially explained and are 100% Netherese in origin. No live Phaerimm are encountered in the IWD: RotF, but there is an unusual amount of space given to them that doesn't pay off in the adventure itself.
Makes sense: the lack of Phaerimm material has seemed like a bit of a blind spot, considering that they are a distinctly FR baddie.

Thanks - this is amazing! Appreciate the share
You also could do worse than getting a copy of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. While it's for 4th edition and set about 10-15 years prior to 5E, it's one of the best setting guides for D&D period. You can easily use most of the lore, plots and adventure hooks as is. That's what I'm doing, freely mixing things.
There's a Let's read going on right now at rpg.net: 📖 Let's Read! - Let's Read the Neverwinter Campaign Setting! | Dungeons & Dragons / Fantasy D20 Spotlight

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I am excited for this release. I have already started converting LMoP to be run in Greyhawk, Sterich post-war of the giants 595CY. I hope they don't go too heavy on the factions for FR, but it will just be another thing to convert. I also don't mind being in a backwater location for 12 levels. It makes the players real threats to the villains as opposed to also rans.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I strongly recommend running T1 for a group some time. The Moathouse really stands up.
The Moathouse was the best part for our group and had a blast with it, and maybe the first level of the temple itself. Then it’s gets into this early 80s dungeon layout and just cultist after cultist, level after level and not being 14 anymore, got tired of that style of play.

I think/hope this LMoP expansion is fun…it certainly needs to be to change the mind of some that say they haven’t put out a good adventure since xxxx…then again we’ll probably still hear that from some even if it’s pure gold.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Moathouse was the best part for our group and had a blast with it, and maybe the first level of the temple itself. Then it’s gets into this early 80s dungeon layout and just cultist after cultist, level after level and not being 14 anymore, got tired of that style of play.

I think/hope this LMoP expansion is fun…it certainly needs to be to change the mind of some that say they haven’t put out a good adventure since xxxx…then again we’ll probably still hear that from some even if it’s pure gold.
There are some who haven't liked anything since Phandelver...but the Adventure books continue to sell. Just in terms of Adventures, WotC is actually on a hot streak: Golden Vault, Dragonlance, Radiant Citadel, Curse of the Netherdeep...and even Spelljammer had a solid mini campaign, even if the Setting is a bit sparse.

There are some who haven't liked anything since Phandelver...but the Adventure books continue to sell. Just in terms of Adventures, WotC is actually on a hot streak: Golden Vault, Dragonlance, Radiant Citadel, Curse of the Netherdeep...and even Spelljammer had a solid mini campaign, even if the Setting is a bit sparse.
I've enjoyed the adventures even if the majority of them I've only read. My favorite was Tomb of Annihilation and Descent into Avernus. I think WotC has done well with the adventures. They may not be perfect but they have a lot of good ideas in them.

Remove ads

Remove ads