PHB errors and reprint schedule

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Geoffrey said:
Game companies should throw away all their computers and do whatever TSR did in 1975. It worked a lot better.

TSR Circa 1975

OfficeParty3.jpg

Well my plan is to hold off on buying the core rulebooks until there is a second printing. That's what I did with 3rd edition (although that was only because I didn't have time to run a game until the second printing had already been released) and it worked well for me. I'm sure there won't be any major, game-breaking errors in the books but I'd like to avoid as many of the little nit-picky ones as possible. I just have to hope that not everyone else is thinking the same as me, otherwise they won't sell enough books for there to be a second printing! :D

Olaf the Stout

Geoffrey said:
The amount of errata in RPG books is ridiculous. At the dawn of RPGs in 1975, the 100ish-page Empire of the Petal Throne rulebook was released free of errors, as far as I can tell. Now, in an age of inexpensive computers, rulebooks are riddled with errors.

In WotC's defense, game mechanics have gotten significantly more complicated and integrated since then, and require much more in the way of technical editing to get right.

That doesn't excuse simple print and grammatical errors, of course.

cangrejoide

First Post
It will be riddled with errors, in fact this is gonna be the D&D edition with the most typos and errors.

Knowing that, I advice you should wait for the second printing in july 09. Meanwhile all of us will peruse the books and have fun playing D&D 4e.

Kobu

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
In WotC's defense, game mechanics have gotten significantly more complicated and integrated since then, and require much more in the way of technical editing to get right.

Integrated? With what?

As for more complicated, you're joking right? Last week I cracked my AD&D DMG and failed my will save vs. confusion. I don't remember much after that but I woke up the in the next county under someone's porch wearing a hot pink miniskirt. The miniskirt is understandable, but hot pink? Black is more my thing.

3E books complexity-wise are nothing compared to earlier editions. Despite that, an average gamer could spend a few minutes with the books and find errors. The editing is worse than in high school textbooks. Charts don't match descriptions, indices and tables of contents list wrong page numbers, flavor text doesn't seem to match things rule-wise, and ambiguous wording abounds. I have other game system books like GURPS and Shadowrun and haven't found much more than typos in them. There's really no excuse for it.

Geoffrey

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
TSR Circa 1975

OfficeParty3.jpg

Whoosh! Over my head.

In regards to the Empire of the Petal Throne rulebook: The pages are densely packed with information, with plenty of numbers, charts, etc. There is fertile ground there for loads of errors. But I've never found one.

The question remains: What was TSR doing right in 1975 that game companies in general 30+ years later aren't doing?

Remove ads