• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB errors and reprint schedule

Kobu said:
Integrated? With what?

As for more complicated, you're joking right? Last week I cracked my AD&D DMG and failed my will save vs. confusion. I don't remember much after that but I woke up the in the next county under someone's porch wearing a hot pink miniskirt. The miniskirt is understandable, but hot pink? Black is more my thing.

Precisely. The 3E system has a high level of self-integration and requires close review to be internally consistent.

The 1E DMG could be riddled with errors, but in that hodge-podge of rules, how would you know?

Jack99

Adventurer
Scott_Rouse said:
The books are perfect so you should just go ahead and buy them now :D

Sure I will, the second you point me to where I can acquire the books today! Buying != Pre-ordering!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
If we were reviewing the AD&D 1e books today, we'd rip them apart for their errors.

Ditto oD&D. %Liar anyone?

Mercutio01

First Post
Having just purchased and read through a red box edition (for only 4 bucks, I might add), I can affirm that even the smaller paperback books of the 1983 Basic Edition has errors. Not just grammatical mistakes or typographical errors--honest-to-God game mechanics problems. Try reading through the 2E book sometimes too.

As for other games not having that problem--obviously people have never read through the first printing of Mutants & Masterminds or the 2nd Edition Shadowrun books.

For all the bitching about errata in 3E, it's funny that those people doing the complaining seem to be the same ones who are sticking with it come hell or high water.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mercutio01 said:
For all the bitching about errata in 3E, it's funny that those people doing the complaining seem to be the same ones who are sticking with it come hell or high water.

strawmanthinking.jpg

Anyway, I think we can all agree that many, if not most, RPG books have editing problems.

I've often wondered why this is true, why editing seems so poor in the RPG business. Lack of resources and manpower? Seems likely.

Which makes me wonder even more why Wizards of the Coast, a real corporation with money and people, still have problems with editing.

Textbooks, while still having errata, don't even come close to the mistakes in D&D books, and often the textbooks deal with much more complicated material and are much longer, too.

Hmmm....

Lacyon

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Anyway, I think we can all agree that many, if not most, RPG books have editing problems.

I've often wondered why this is true, why editing seems so poor in the RPG business. Lack of resources and manpower? Seems likely.

Partly it's because good editors tend to not be gamers, and people who understand the game very well don't tend to be good editors (or tend to have a full-time job other than editing).

Wolfspider said:
Which makes me wonder even more why Wizards of the Coast, a real corporation with money and people, still have problems with editing.

They do a better job of it than any other RPG company I buy products from.

Wolfspider said:
Textbooks, while still having errata, don't even come close to the mistakes in D&D books, and often the textbooks deal with much more complicated material and are much longer, too.

You don't read enough math textbooks.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
MerricB said:
If we were reviewing the AD&D 1e books today, we'd rip them apart for their errors.

Ditto oD&D. %Liar anyone?
In the court of public opinion, precedence is meaningless :)

Mercutio01

First Post
Wolfspider said:
How is that a strawman? Answer - it's not. Calling it a strawman is a strawman. It does fall under a logical fallacy, and that is a generalization, but it's not unfouned. The general negative comments about the editing of 4E seem to be coming from people I've seen in other threads that are sticking to 3E.

The real reason for a lot of problems in 3E seem to be rules lawyers who either fail reading comprehension or else create misinterpretations. That's not true of all the errata problems (see polymorph).

Remove ads