• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHB2 Races = Mos Eisley Cantina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
I just threw up all over page 7 of the PHB2.

It looks like a terrible space fantasy for little kids! The whole game store I was at tonight was laughing hysterically at it!

THIS is Dungeons & Dragons?

"It's a cold and rainy night.
The village locals gather in the small tavern over mugs of ale to soothe their weary spirits after a long, hard day of toil.
Suddenly, the tavern door slams open and in walks a party of adventurers.

The first one through the door is a squat little wolfman with a hairy face and feral eyes. The second is what looks like a gnome-drow. The third, a half-orc... that is, apparently: half-orc and half vampire (worst artistic rendering of half-orcs EVER). The fourth is a blue skinned space man with a glowing, spectral pet wolf. Finally, a miniature stone giant."

When did Spelljammer become the default game world!

It's just so RIDICULOUS! It's like the Mos Eisley Cantina threw up all over the D&D universe.

I wish these designers would ease back on the cheese throttle.

aurance

Explorer
So, out of curiosity, is your complaint about the races themselves, or their artistic depictions? And what races / depictions would you have preferred instead?

Slaved

First Post
In walks a Group of Social Outcasts who are only Accepted because they have a lot of Coin.

Truth in Fiction! :p:p:p:p:p

WalterKovacs

First Post
The book itself says the races in the PHB (original) are the most common races. PHBII is showing additional races that exist in the world, not necessarily common races.

The "special party" at the front is limited to races from the book ... because it's in the book.

Also, the spectral wolf is because of class, not race.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't think PHB2 is any worse than PHB1 in that regard. I also remember a similar statement about the MM1. In other words: old news.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
You have a problem with weird races?

Umm... you realise this is a fantasy game with fantasy races and magic and unicorns and giants and gods and other planes of existence and all that, right?

Just because you're not used to it, doesn't mean it's ridiculous. A person entirely new to the concept of roleplaying and fantasy is going to think ALL the races are a bit weird.

Personally, I don't like a lot of races in a setting. Just because it's in the book, doesn't mean you have to use them. What about the races in PHB2 makes you think that they're a part of the setting if you don't want them to be?

Mephistopheles

First Post
It's just so RIDICULOUS! It's like the Mos Eisley Cantina threw up all over the D&D universe.

I wish these designers would ease back on the cheese throttle.

Even though they are now core races as they're in PHB2 you're still free to borrow a line from the Mos Eisley cantina bartender and say "We don't serve their kind here!".

Runestar

First Post
I must be an anomaly here. I am actually sick of the core PHB races after so many years that I cannot picture myself ever playing an elf, dwarf, halfling or gnome ever again. So I actually prefer to select exotic races to play for the unique gaming experience. :p

Dice4Hire

First Post
I really do not have a problem with any race in the PHBI or PHBII. Having them all be equally common in my world I have major problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads