D&D (2024) Pick one major theme from a previous edition that you want in 6e

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm so sorry, I missed that part of the OP. But, it works, as I could never choose just one thing!

That's what makes it a thought exercise rather than a wish list. I added a little extra wrinkle to it by limiting to just one thing ;) It's harder that way, because there are several things that could be listed. I totally get it.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I only started with 4E/Transition to 5E, but I've played other editions. I'l give this a try.

(Not including B/X or Basic)

1E: More 'modular' modules.

2E: Greater levels of innovation in campaign settings.

3E: Trifold saves.

4E: Truly tactical play.

5E: Bounded accuracy.

Fixed to fit the OP.

dave2008

Legend
OK, It is hard to remember the early days, but I will give it a try

BECMI: Immortal / epic rules. Rules for playing immortals that only tangentially remind you of the rest of the game.
1: the DMG, PHB, MM division of books
2: didn't play this edition, but I will go with multitude of discreet settings with unique mechanics
3: 3 save system
4: this one is hard, as there is a lot to like but I will go with monster design (kind cheating as this includes lots of things, but I am sticking to it)
5: this one is also hard, but I think I will go with disadvantage / advantage

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
0e - philosophy: the game is deadly to the PCs - the vagaries of luck make it much more "Roguelike".
1e - rule: save matrix used is based on source (spell, petrification, etc.) rather than just a character stat
2e - philosophy and rule: level advancement is very slow, such that the focus becomes playing a character rather than building it
3e - philosophy and rule: PCs and NPCs are functionally and mechanically the same (e.g. an NPC rests and recovers using exactly the same mechanics a PC does) though not all NPCs need have actual classes and one could even run a game where the PCs are below 0th level and thus classless
4e - rule: 'bloodied' returns and has effects on PCs and monsters alike
5e - rule: advantage/disadvantage, provided its frequency of use is toned down significantly from 5e

Pre-2E: No skills, outside of special abilities. Let's put some weight back into stat checks.

2E: Slow healing.

3E: NPCs and monsters that use PC math.

4E: AEDU unified resource system

5E: Advantage/Disadvantage

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
1E: Old-school multiclassing (where all XP is split between your classes, and your classes are set in stone at character creation). The current à la cart system is the worst thing that ever happened to D&D.
2E: Resting heals only 1 HP.
3E: "Negative" hit points and death -- no more whack-a-mole with Healing Word.
4E: "Boss" monsters.
5E: SLOW RELEASE SCHEDULE!!! Except MAKE IT EVEN SLOWER! 3-4 books per year is way too many at this point in the edition cycle. 2 or even 1 would be just fine.

Anoth

Adventurer
XP for treasure like BX
Domain and Immortal rules like BECMI (and War Machine)
Slower healing like 1E, 2E
Action economy (4E)
Bounded accuracy (5E)

And Greyhawk...
I think I might be afraid to trust these guys with greyhawk. They really need an someone that was there at the time to do it right. But I do love some classic greyhawk. But I am also that guy that will only run a realms game before the time of troubles and use my own timeline for after those dates without the time of trouble ever occurring.

actually I don’t think I like it when they advance the timeline for any setting. Let us players do that ourselves.

Remove ads