• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piece of Mind: a d20 Modern horror/sci fi campaign [METAGAME]

The Shaman

First Post
A reminder: reviewing the bank records et al. provided by Martin and Slocum requires a Research check - a character gets a +2 skill synergy for at least 5 ranks in either Knowledge (business) for the bank records and Knowledge (earth and life sciences) for e-mails. A character may aid another on this check.

The degree of success will determine what information you're able to glean from the records. You can make multiple checks to answer different questions, within reasonable limits - for example, one person could look for clues in the bank records, another in the phone bills, another in the e-mails, and so on. A general "I'm looking for clues" will get you a -2 circumstance penalty - a more specific topic may get you a circumstance bonus of +1 to +4 depending on exactly what you decide your character researching in the records.

Remember that each Research check takes 1d4 hours.

Good luck!

Bobitron

Explorer
Anyone else having trouble with color tags? I couldn't get mine to display on that last post. Weird.

OK, time for research. Kristen has a +9 in Research and Computer Use, and a +11 in Knowledge (Earth and Life Sciences). I would think that Decker should aid her in the search for that ever important bonus. Any thoughts from the group as to what we should be looking for?

Shaman, can we take 10 or 20 on the roll? We have the entire evening and all day Saturday, right?

Maybe the others can visit the apartment on Saturday while Kristen does the research, if she can take 20.

NightOwl

First Post
The Shaman said:
Two of them, actually - the original NiteOwl from the Thirties and his successor from the Sixties.

It's an outstanding book - can't recommend it highly enough. I reread it three or four times a year.Must be nice...I'm considering hibernating a few months a year in the hope that maybe then I'll get enough sleep... :\

Cool...thanks for the info.

Hibernation eh? Now that's something that my wife would definitely like to be able to do!
She needs a minimum of 8 hours...what's the saying? 'Opposites attract'. ;)

Really like how the game is unfolding so far...and interesting to see how the characters are starting to develop and interact with one another.

NightOwl

NightOwl

First Post
Shaman,

I'm new to the PbP thing. Do we need to go ahead and submit characters to you since we are listed as alternates? Or is that done if/when the time comes?

thx,
NightOwl

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
Shaman, can we take 10 or 20 on the roll? We have the entire evening and all day Saturday, right?
Taking 10 on the Research check requires 1-4 hours to complete - taking 20 means that the Research check takes 20-80 hours.

If the check is interrupted for any reason, I calculate how much time you've spent and give you that much of the check as your roll - for example, if you attempt to take 20 and you're interrupted in hour 20 of a 40 hour check, your roll for the skill check is 10.

Considering you still need sleep or risk being fatigued, you have about 24 useful hours between Friday evening and Sunday morning before "checking out" of Dr. Martin's guest house - this would constitute an interruption of the skill check.

Does that give you enough information for you to plan your actions?
NightOwl said:
Really like how the game is unfolding so far...and interesting to see how the characters are starting to develop and interact with one another.
Good players make all the difference. :)
NightOwl said:
I'm new to the PbP thing. Do we need to go ahead and submit characters to you since we are listed as alternates? Or is that done if/when the time comes?
If a space comes open, we'll go ahead and have you make your character then - IMX it's easier to tailor the character to the campaign at that point, so the character can be dropped into the action a little more readily.

James Heard

Explorer
Say, what time of night is it when we're finished grilling the suits? Trying to decide on if my character would best be spending his night seeing the nightlife of Greater BFE or sleeping. Brandon certainly isn't going to be much use showing off his l33t computer skillz... Unless someone's wanting a critique on the missing guy's musical taste...though I'm pretty sure Brandon doesn't have much either. "What?! No Michael Bolton? Gosh, this guy is hardcore. We should check out those 'punk rock' clubs." Okay, maybe not. But the original version of Brandon...

kmdietri

Explorer
OK, time for research. Kristen has a +9 in Research and Computer Use, and a +11 in Knowledge (Earth and Life Sciences). I would think that Decker should aid her in the search for that ever important bonus. Any thoughts from the group as to what we should be looking for?

Yeah that sounds like a good plan I should definately aid you on this.

I think one thing we can try and look for is any communications that would indicate a contact in Venezeula.

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Taking 10 on the Research check requires 1-4 hours to complete - taking 20 means that the Research check takes 20-80 hours.

Considering you still need sleep or risk being fatigued, you have about 24 useful hours between Friday evening and Sunday morning before "checking out" of Dr. Martin's guest house - this would constitute an interruption of the skill check.

Hmmm... I'm tempted to take twenty, stay up all night, and take whatever help I can get from Decker. I figure Kristen has done similar things before. She can always sleep in the car/plane while we travel (optimistic enough for ya?). The problem is, obviously, it would rely on a low roll. If we end up with a forty hour check, all that missed sleep is wasted.

I'll decide soon and post today.

The Shaman

First Post
James Heard said:
Say, what time of night is it when we're finished grilling the suits?
The ferry arrived just before 6:30 p.m. and you arrived at Dr. Martin's home at around 7:00 p.m. - call it 8:00 p.m. as the meeting breaks up, after the small talk and the breifing.
Bobitron said:
Hmmm... I'm tempted to take twenty, stay up all night, and take whatever help I can get from Decker. I figure Kristen has done similar things before. She can always sleep in the car/plane while we travel (optimistic enough for ya?). The problem is, obviously, it would rely on a low roll. If we end up with a forty hour check, all that missed sleep is wasted.
Oh, how I love giving players tough choices! :]

Wait...did I say that out loud? :uhoh:

Remove ads