• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirate help request

Dimwhit

Explorer
Hey all, I'm sure this has been asked before, but what the hell...

Starting a pirate campaign and looking for a class. I don't like the Swashbuckler or the Corsair PrC. Haven't really seen a good 'pirate' class I like. So I'm looking for some more unusual builds, maybe one that has some healing (though that's not a requirement).

I looked at doing a Ranger, then prestige into Waverunner (Stormwrack). Also thought of a Druid/Storm Lord (not digging that one, though).

Anyone have a cool combo that has worked well for a pirate campaign? Using only official books (no home-brew).

I'm currently playing a rogue/dread pirate. It's worked well for the game. :)

What if you picked up Cleric? Go for something like Travel and Weather domains? Fharlanghn, Geshtai, and Procan all offer those domains. In my mind, I see most sailing ships as having some sort of priest (cleric or druid) to ensure their safe arrival.

One thing you may want to ask your DM now is how will ship to ship combat be handled. The campaign I'm in is low magic so most ship based combat involves boarding actions and the like. However, if you can just cast a spell and turn the enemy ship to ashes before they even close, you may be disappointed.

One of my players is playing a Bard/Dread Pirate, which works very well. See a captain already needs to motivate his crew, so what better class to motivate people than a Bard? I run a 3.5 pirate campaign based entirely on Stormwrack btw.

Voadam

Legend
Pirate is more of a roleplay concept than a class, most any class can fit. I played a spelljamming space pirate in 4e using the sword mage class and had a blast. If you want classic pirate then you want a cutlass/sword of some type for dueling poses. Possibly guns. Generally light or no armor, though the viking iron born pirates in Game of Thrones go full plate on ship boarding and it works fine.

Remove ads