Piratecat's dungeon design: fun with tesseracts!

Alcareru

First Post
Ferret said:
Ow my head hurts.

Looks cool, but I'd rather not DM that game though.
My head exploded. My liberal education suffered greatly from weak mathmatics (damn you Pythagoras!!)

Thanks P-cat.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Of course there's no real reason to treat the thing as a tesseract.

Any random connection of rooms to other rooms for any number of rooms and doors will tend to confuse the hell out of players. The key is to make sure that there are loops, and once you've done that, you've created an impossible space that will (naturally) confuse the hell out of your players.

Liolel

First Post
head spinning, failed my knowledge check so badly that I don't even know what knowledge type check I failed.

Some things I guess I just can not grasp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm psyched that this is useful to some folks.

It's actually pretty simple once you stare at it for a few minutes. Just figure out the simple version - all doors connect to one another - and think of some cool encounters. Then imagine there's a top and bottom cube, and every time you go through a door the graviy shifts so that it feels like you're coming up out of a trapdoor. Once you've got that fixed in your head, it makes a lot more sense.

Abraxas

Explorer
You have to be careful and really know your group when you use these. My DM a few years back actually used one of these on us + a bunch of math puzzles.

I had a sketch of the place after 1 loop (looking at a room from a different direction really didn't disorient me because of all the papare models I used to make as a kid) and then it became a tedious exersize in finding the way out.

A group I used one on later couldn't figure out the connectivity and got pretty frustrated with the endless loops.

I enjoy the larger hypercubes - rooms in the 100 x 100 x 100 size

Remove ads