Piratecat's dungeon design: fun with tesseracts!

Mordane76

First Post
Cube never specifically stated that it was a tesseract, but it might as well have been. In Cube, each room was more or less a death trap; the rooms where all part of a gigantic cube that cycled where each individual room was in relation to the true exit from the total cube. The cube had an astronomical number of rooms (by the participants' calculations), and one needed a degree in advanced algorithms (or had to a be numbers savant) to figure out the cycling time and pattern of the Cube to escape it.

Hypercube... no idea, though.

Cube could make an interesting one-shot dungeon, particularly for a d20 Modern game, as long as the people playing it hadn't seen or heard about the movie. Such a module would mostly be a meat-grinder, though... but it might be fun to DM if all the players knew up front that they were going to die in the most special-effectsy sort of ways possible. :D

Last edited:

Kesh

First Post
Cube was a great movie. Haven't seen Hypercube though.

Though I'm sure PKitty could use it to take this tesseract dungeon to whole new levels. :D

RingXero

The movie 'Cube' didn't have a tesseract, it had just a large collection of cube rooms that mechanically moved around, the whole thing formed a cube itself that was within a larger cube, the larger cube was just large enough for a room cube to exist and move around the cube of rooms. There was one extra cube that acted as the bridge between the cube of rooms and the exit door that was on the side of the larger cube, it was only there at the start and end of the cycle of movement, once every few days. a lot of the rooms were trapped.

Cube 2: Hypercube, was a form of a tesseract, and as portrayed in the movie, had an almost infinite number of rooms, the group gets placed within one room and then that room 'unfolds' into an almost infinite number, then it starts to collapse into itself again. Traps were present as well, no numbers to help out though.

I liked Cube, not as much Hypercube.

RX

Psionicist

Explorer
I have seen both Cube and Hypercube, and although the sequel isn't as good as the the original I can recommend it if you liked the first movie because of the cubes and not because it was different. :)

Anyhow, nice cubes!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases