Piratecat's storyhour reborn! (updated July 4, 2006)

Craer

First Post
Could someone in the know please post the stats of Warwinner, Valdek's sword? It sounds neat, and I'm a sucker for named weapons.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Craer said:
Could someone in the know please post the stats of Warwinner, Valdek's sword? It sounds neat, and I'm a sucker for named weapons.
Hey, look - content I can quickly provide! :D

Warwinner has a history (I believe Valdek found it under the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief), but I'll just provide the mechanical info. It's a bastard (I believe) or two-handed sword that gains in power when used against multiple foes: +1 vs one foe, +2 vs two foes, up to +4 vs four foes. 'Foes' is defined as a creature that is actively attacking the wielder (ie in the combat and acting offensively - DM's call.) When a creature attacks the wielder, a purple beam of light shoots from the sword to unerringly pinpoint the location of the attacker (reveals the square the attacker is in).

In 3e, I would probably add the abilities of keen and cleaving when used against more than five foes.

I really like this weapon. It's generally strongest when the PC is most in trouble, and that's kind of fun.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Piratecat said:

Warwinner has a history (I believe Valdek found it under the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief), but I'll just provide the mechanical info. It's a bastard (I believe) or two-handed sword that gains in power when used against multiple foes: +1 vs one foe, +2 vs two foes, up to +4 vs four foes. 'Foes' is defined as a creature that is actively attacking the wielder (ie in the combat and acting offensively - DM's call.) When a creature attacks the wielder, a purple beam of light shoots from the sword to unerringly pinpoint the location of the attacker (reveals the square the attacker is in).

In 3e, I would probably add the abilities of keen and cleaving when used against more than five foes.

I really like this weapon. It's generally strongest when the PC is most in trouble, and that's kind of fun.

You were reading a lot of Saberhagen when Valdek found that sword, weren't you? ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Two points to the man without an avatar. Although that's not quite right - I definitely wanted the feel of a powerful sword that would be effective against big groups, but I needed to carefully balance it for mid-level play. It wasn't intended to be a fanboy-esque ripoff of the Saberhagen swords, since I got that out of my system at 14, but the concept of a sword that cuts through an army like a scythe? I really love that image.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Yoink!

Piratecat said:

And the Title says it all... the group's underpowered fighter has an unidentified magic sword (Greatsword in this case) which is now Warwinner =-)
Since it was the end of the session and I knew their Lore capabilities I figured I had time to come up with a little something different. Thank you for providing that !

Seule

Explorer
Raevynn said:
"You say coping, I say whining. Listen, hear that? It is a definative lack of whining. And ya know whats better? They serve as a VERY good warning to others...."

*fold arms flicking fingernails proudly*

Now where were we? Oh thats right... free corpse with each character sheet and a new body......

Malcolm (c. 1997) by the Arrogant Worms (http://www.arrogant-worms.com/)

Billy solves his problems by calling up his mom
Heather solves her problems with drugs and alcohol
Daniel solves his problems with a doctor and the law
But Malcolm has his own way and it's better than them all

'Cause
Malcolm solves his problems with a chainsaw
and he never has the same problem twice.

Whether it's a bill or a cheque arriving late
Rancid marble cheese or a steak that's second rate
Awful TV programs or a broken Elvis plate
Or his fiancee who dumps him because he's gaining weight

and he never has the same problem twice.

Aaaaggghhh Aaaaggghhh
problem solved!

Similar tactics, yes?

--Seule

Remove ads