• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piratecat's storyhour reborn! (updated July 4, 2006)

Berandor

lunatic
A note and a question here. Recently, the PCs in my campaign visited a kuo-toa shrine, and I stole both the idea of warring parties and the kuo-toa art from your Story Hour. I just wanted to say the moving ethereal craftsmanship really helped giving the whole shrine an alien atmosphere (especially the giant statue of Blipdoolbulb (sp?)), and the disposed king smuggling the PCs in was a nice change from the automatic-alarm set-up that module originally featured. So thanks.

Now, as a Story Hour writer myself, a question on your "technique". I know you record sessions (we don't), but how much of a game's events end up in the story? How many quotes do you make up, how close do you keep combats to the original length, etc. Since I do my writing from memory (except for a few notes I make), I tend to abstract a lot, only hitting major points in combat and changing table talk to something resembling character speech. The barbarian in our group, for example, gets a lot of "cool but stupid" one-liners, which fits the character (and the player likes it), but which doesn't often happen at the table.

KidCthulhu

First Post
I can answer that PC generally puts our own words in our mouths. He might paraphrase to shorten things up, but generally he doesn't write dialogue that's not there.

Yes, we are just that witty and clever.

orchid blossom

Explorer
I don't know what PC uses, but my husband uses a digital voice recorder for his game sessions. Then he downloads it onto the computer and listens to it there. If for some reason one of the players is going to write the synopsis for that week he can just send them the audio file.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Piratecat said:
... It wasn't intended to be a fanboy-esque ripoff of the Saberhagen swords, since I got that out of my system at 14, but the concept of a sword that cuts through an army like a scythe? I really love that image.

To be fair, it wasn't meant as a "fanboy" comment. Townsaver was probably the "sword most likley to have a D&D counterpart," and it's cool, to boot.

Slife

First Post

Attachments

• Twisted Stars.png
    Twisted Stars.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Remove ads