Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfspirit

First Post
Stupid question, but about how long Eversink time were the Defenders away for?

Allthough it seems that maybe they should have came back a couple of Kodali's Retreat hours earlier. Who knows, they might have been able to have stopped the war between the gods before it started if they hadn't slept in.

Or they could have been executed for heresy. But that could have been fun too.

Sialia

First Post
Need an interim Defenders fix? My new post is up on the Early Years thread--see link in my post above.

Apologies for the lack of details in the combat for which Dylrath was unconcious--I've been typing for three hours, it's past midnight, I'm beat, and it was an easy place to economize.

Hopefully one of the Defenders who particpated in the battle will add some comments--it was a helluva scene: last stands were made, inns were destroyed, treachery, valor, bloodshed, belching, bondage . . . .

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I. Am. WROTH.” Mara and Malachite merge into a huge burning pillar of golden fire, their souls whirled upwards on the outstretched wings of unspeakable joy. Everyone else must shield their eyes from the fiery form, blinded by the holy radiance that sears through their eyelids.

You have intruded upon matters that did not concern you. You have shaken the echelons of My church, and caused Me to know of that which some would have hidden. Your interference has caused Me to look upon mortal affairs with My own eyes.

You have done well.”

Bowing worshipfully, everyone slumps in relief as they understand that Aeos is not wroth at them.

The Rotting Ones thought to steal my prayers from me. They thought to mislead the holy Servants of the Gods. Aided by their Mistress, they thought to deny Me what is rightfully Mine. For this they will pay.” There is crackling thunder as the sun suddenly flares.

The flaming figure of the God gestures, and a charred and crumbling shape appears on the ground in front of the kneeling heroes. “I have descended to the depths of Spira and destroyed the Thief who blinded Me. Now I ascend again to punish his Mistress, and fling Her from the throne She betrayed. With Me I shall take my true servant Aleax, whose soul may have been… sullied… by those who wished to twist him to their will. In heaven he shall be cleansed in the purifying furnaces of the sun, and some day he may return to you.

The flaming beacon of sunlight seems to reach even higher, stretching into the sky itself, piercing the clouds above their heads in a shaft of fiery gold. “Your task is beginning. You will act as My Hand and punish those who sought to betray your brethren. My blessing goes with you and with all those truly of my faith. You will be swift and sure, and you will carry My word to them, and they will fear for what their kind has done.

And just like that, the radiance disappears.

Clouds roll overhead and the sun slides from view, but the whole area where the Defenders stand is still bathed in bright sunlight. More thunder shudders the heavens, and a wind picks up, carrying the faint scent of something too precious to comprehend up and away from the small hut.

“Ummm….” says Nolin, for once speechless. He falls on to his knees next to the corpse. Crumbling, it is the charred remains of an ancient ghoul. It once wore rich robes, precious jewels, a rich regalia, an ornate scepter. Now it is little more than ash. Quickly, before it can further degenerate, Nolin begins to cast legend lore. Beside him, Mara and Malachite remain stunned in religious ecstasy, their weapons still flaming like the sun itself.

“Heavens preserve us!” wails the old woman inside the hut. “Who was that?”

Tao looks sheepishly at the smoking door. “It was Aeos. You know, the God. Say,” she says, putting her arm around the old woman’s shoulders, “have you ever been to a shrine before? You might want to prepare for a few visitors….”

Nolin feels his consciousness slip outwards, seeking at the threads of legend that the dead ghoul has touched or inspired. His mind catches something, and a bit of rhyming doggerel slips into his thoughts.
  • From the dark, forged the scythe
    Made the spell of misplaced lies
    Killed the dawn and drew the pact
    They would grieve but for the fact
    He leaves a void, his body calls
    The mouth that’s doomed to swallow all
    Now in the night his children fight
    The steady blight of godly light.
The group considers it as they wind walk north-eastwards. Above them the sky still shakes from thunder, and beneath them the world responds. They see dead corpses rise from their graves, only to crumble as they touch sunlight. They see a sea serpent rise from the depths of the lake, schools of fish fleeing its hungry jaws as it squirms and thrashes within the waves. Most frighteningly, the sky periodically drops into utter night, the sun vanishing from the heavens for minutes at a time.

The second time the sun disappears and deep night falls, Velendo decides that the Godly battle is too important to neglect.

“God,” he says, as he lowers himself down onto his knees in prayer. “I don’t know if you’re paying attention down here, what with the war against Imbindarla going on up there, but I thought I’d help if I could. I can’t offer much, but you should take whatever I have. What you’re doing is more important than I’ll ever be.” He feels the life energy rush from him as he casts the miracle, and the sky thunders in reply. Seconds later the very air itself vibrates, and night disappears as the sun rekindles itself.

White-faced, Velendo slowly picks himself up off the ground, looking older than he usually does. “I hope that helped,” he says shakily. And the group continues towards Eversink.

By the time they reach the city, the thunder is coming less often, and the sun is still high in the sky despite the late hour. People are panicking in the narrow alleyways and the wide canals of the city, praying that the Gods do not destroy them for their wickedness, praying that they might be saved in the coming apocalypse. The Defenders note that the green-uniformed guards of the Sea Watch seem to have the rioting more or less in hand, and they slip into the packed temple and make for their private rooms. The heroes stop to reassure a few clerics, and finally sit heavily down in their familiar chairs. For them, it has been five months; for Eversink, it’s been less than 24 hours. Lady Sharala Clearwater is there waiting for them, accompanied by a pale stranger.

As Lady Brea and her baby slip away to find the foster family that the noblewoman had secretly prearranged, Tao looks at Malachite. “Aeos said that he was taking Saint Aleax back to heaven. I want to find out what that means.”

“I can do some sendings,” offers Velendo. “But what about….” And he nods at Malachite’s sword, Aleax.

“Let’s find out,” says Malachite grimly, and draws the blade. Its radiance flashes around the room, but the voice which issues from it isn’t the familiar one.

My,” it says at it points towards Shara, “You’re quite a looker!

To be continued....

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Since nobody else has mentioned it yet, I will.

All credit to Velendo for (presumably) sacrificing some of his experience in casting a selfless miracle, offering up some of his self to aid the Wallbuilder in the battle.

I look forward to seeing further... details... appear

Cheers

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yeah, how about that? 5000 xp, slurped away, on the faith that it will help. Worse, he'll probably never find out how he helped. It was a beautiful moment.

Rashak Mani, normally worshippers of Aeos are deeply tanned. Mara and Malachite haven't seen the sun in their five months on the demiplane, and so everyone was white as a fish's belly. Their exposure to the God of the Sun fixed that, though.

Anyways, thank you for the kind words! I would have posted immediately upon the resolution of the dns problem, but I was looking for my exact notes on what Aeos said. Since I couldn't find them, I went with my memory, and I'm sure my players will correct me if I mis-wrote.

Oh, and everyone loves Malachite's sword now. Karthos is... a breath of fresh air compared to Aleax.

Blackjack

First Post
Piratecat said:
Bowing worshipfully, everyone slumps in relief as they understand that Aeos is not wroth at them.

Let me assure you that PCat is talking about both players and characters here!

Up until this point, you could have heard a pin drop in the room...

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Piratecat said:

Quicklings visit on almost a daily basis, buzzing the room and then disappearing. From the few that will talk to them, the group learns that the dark fey seem to be waiting for something to happen, something to do with a child that they believe will eventually arrive in the Citadel.

Have the Defenders drawn any conclusions about this? I have a sneaking suspicion, myself, but I'd like to know if any theories have been batted about by the party...

Sialia

First Post
Hey, Tomtom, be a pal and buy up some cheap land around that site for me, willya? And look into making an offer on an inn or waystation about three quarters of a day's march down the main road.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads