Piratecat's Updated Story Hour! (update 4/03 and 4/06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidCthulhu

First Post
We just finished playing. Special guest star tonight - Aeos himself!

Lux fulgebit hodie super nos.
Verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis
Fecit potentiam in bracchio suo;
dispersit superbos mente cordis sui.

And then some...

Translations to follow, but extra geek master points to any Latin scholar who beats me to it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
KidCthulhu said:
We just finished playing. Special guest star tonight - Aeos himself!

Lux fulgebit hodie super nos.
Verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis
Fecit potentiam in bracchio suo;
dispersit superbos mente cordis sui.

And then some...

Translations to follow, but extra geek master points to any Latin scholar who beats me to it.

OK, my rusty Latin will give it a try:

Light shines over us still.
The word is made flesh, and lives in us
making power in his hands,
and dispersing it to the proud hearts of his people.

As I said, I'm rusty; but did I get the gist?

KidCthulhu

First Post
Henry, you get 200 Geek Master Points.

Google translator, on the other hand, gets no points and is denied a copy of the home game.

Yep, Light did indeed shine upon us, and the word was made flesh (or at least made our flesh crawl), and he did scatter the proud with his ass kickin' right arm.

But who's ass got kicked? And what did the Word say? And did we survive? Well, that's for PC to tell you

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A discussion about clever disguises ensues (“I need to rub fish on myself!” “Why?” “I want to smell like a fish seller!” “Uh… okay.”), but is cut short when Agar reminds the group that he has prepared seeming, a superb disguise spell. Disguised as dwarven engineers, half the group mistily slips out of the temple through a one-way secret door in the back, wind walking over to the Clearwater mansion. The mansion itself is gorgeous, of course, a marvel of architecture that is built around the theme of running water and nautical design. Like all buildings in Eversink, though, it is slowly sinking into the island beneath it, and from the air it is apparent where levels have been built on top of older construction. It’s a cloudy day, the wind flinging sporadic raindrops against the towers of House Clearwater, but at least the wind keeps any insects away from the phobic Agar.

Rematerializing, the group moves around to the estate’s kitchen entrance and hammers on the door. It’s opened by the second assistant cook. She looks out, and then down, taking in the group of rough-and-ready dwarves with their jangling tool belts. “We’re here ta fix da pumps,” says Velendo, desperately trying to bluff.

The second assistant cook crosses her arms and looks doubtful. “I don’t have anything scheduled. Let me get someone in charge.” She returns with a large, dour looking woman who repeats the fact that no pump maintenance is scheduled. “No appointment, no need for your services, no need for us to pay you, good day, gentledwarves.”

TomTom elbows Velendo and takes over. “It’s quite simple. This wuz scheduled by a Lady Brea some time last week, I dunno why the paperwork just got to us now, probably some mistake somewhere, but we got told to come and here we are and you probably got yerself a half-socketed pump spanner in yer basement you should deal with.”

The cook looks confused. “Do you have the paperwork? Lady Brea has been out of the mansion at a friend’s island estate for several days now.” The substantial woman leans in close. “She’s in a family way, you understand, and her husband is missing. The poor dear.” She pulls back. “Well, let’s see the paperwork.” She holds her hand out expectantly while the Defenders mentally kick themselves for not forging documents.

TomTom extemporizes. “Don’t got ‘em. They’re back at the office. Of course,” he shrugs, “we just get paid no matter what, you know? So if your pumps stop and you turn us away now, we just charge you more and you deal with the resulting flood. And your angry mistress. No problem for us.” He turns away.

“No, no,” says the large woman in exasperation. She takes off her apron and hands it to the younger girl. “Marjorie, keep stirring the left-most pot, and I’ll tan your hide if the sauce scorches. Let’s go, gentlemen.” Self-importantly, the cook leads them to a back stair, and they start moving down into the ancestral mansion. It’s almost like traveling through time; down three levels of stairs, rivulets of water dribbling down the walls as they walk, slowly flooding the floors as their footsteps echo through long-empty chambers in pitch blackness. Only the lanterns carried by the group casts a small circle of light in the watery stone darkness around them.

“Oh yes,” says Agar, upon first hearing the rhythmic throbbing of the dwarvish pumps. “You hear that? I’m glad we were called before that flange separates.”

The cook looks up startled as a rat swims in front of the group. “Auggh!”

“It’s just a rat,” opines the dwarven-disguised Tao. “There are a lot of them down here.”

“R-r-really?” asks the cook. “I don’t suppose you know your way from here?”

“We certainly do,” assures TomTom. “We’ll check in with you before we leave.” She doesn’t waste any time; the cook’s footsteps echo back through the abandoned stone rooms in the underground section of the house, and everyone smiles in satisfaction. They backtrack a room, cut through an old library, and head down a narrow stair case. Within minutes, they’re back in the grand chamber where Tao and Valdek were killed by the trillith.

Tao looks white, almost physically sick. “I’ll stay back here and guard the outside,” she offers. No one disagrees with her. Velendo examines the forbiddance which he had put up three months ago. Its warding threads were still quite strong, shimmering under the gaze of a detect magic spell. Velendo casts his mind out into the intricate web of holy wards, looking for the single knot that acts as the center point for the spell. Finding it, he casts dispel magic to sever the magical thread. Within seconds, the entire spell unravels with a whooshing sound, and the chamber is once again safe for anyone to enter.

TomTom, Agar, and Velendo walk over and examine the entrance to the demiplane. It hangs there, bounded by a low stone wall, looking upwards through water that seems to hang in open space. “Well, no point in waiting,” says TomTom. “I’ll go first.” He steps through the gate into water, paddling his feet to get his nose high enough to breath. Thus, he has trouble defending himself as the first of the squid-like slugs latches on to his body, starting to burrow under his very skin itself.

It’s gelatinous, almost milky in color, and the size of a young kitten. It’s coated with a familiar slime. Four more swarm TomTom, tiny tentacles probing his skin as they try to rupture and slide underneath his ectoplasmic skin. One succeeds, starting to squeeze itself into his neck as TomTom screams out in horrible pain, and the halfling feels his vitality ripped from him as the creature absorbs both his blood and psychic essence. No one outside of the demi-plane can hear him, though, and at least four more of the creatures move to latch on to his body.

Velendo, Agar and Tao watch from outside through the cloudy lens of the planar gateway. Agar and Velendo exchange a frown. “Does he look a little… agitated… to you?”

To be continued!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
“I’m going in,” declares Agar, and heads through the portal with Velendo close behind him. Treading water, Agar surfaces and hears TomTom’s scream. “I can’t swim worth a darn,” he says, “ and I wish the water in here would drain away!” As the limited wish duplicates the effect of lower water, the four feet of water quickly lowers, allowing everyone to stand securely on the floor. TomTom is clutching at the thing burrowing into him; it’s now most of the way underneath his skin, and TomTom is pale and sweating. Velendo grabs it with his bare hands and pulls, and manages to yank it away from TomTom’s neck. It’s slimy under his fingers… gelatinous, sort of like a slippery bag of water and pus.

Velendo flings the sluglike creature on the ground, where TomTom begins to arc a greater biocurrent between the five creatures. They don’t seem to be especially affected. “Screw this,” he concludes, and greater concussions one into paste as it slowly tries to wriggle towards his foot. Velendo and Agar follow his example. Finding that a lightning bolt from his staff is ineffective, Velendo actually kills two by physically beating them to death, the first time in years that he has actually used a melee weapon with any degree of success. Soon all five slug-things are dead, or as close to dead as things get on the demiplane. Velendo examines TomTom and shakes his head, grumbling “That was closer than I like to see.” He casts restoration,, returning TomTom to better health, and with a grim look at the slug bodies all three heroes step out of the doorway into the greater demiplane.

Once again they find themselves on a representation of the grand bridge that arches over central Eversink. The air is filled with susurration… the mumbling of voices and the noises of daily life, interlaid over each other and stretched over weeks and years of rippling time, creating a roar of background noise that is unsettling at best. Agar looks around, and for the first time he sees the odd effect of Eversink changing over time, pulsing with thoughts and mental images. “My goodness….” he says, and gives in to temptation. “I’ll be back!” And he disappears as he thinks himself elsewhere.

“No!” shout both TomTom and Velendo simultaneously, but they’re too late. They exchange glances and concentrate on Lord Griggan of House Clearwater. Instantaneously, they find themselves in the mental construct of the Temple of Calphas. In front of them is a hideous stranger. He is skin and bones, with huge gaping sores in his skin, his hair long and his eyes wild with insanity. Any clothing he once had is in tatters, and as much as they’d prefer not to, they can see lumps sliding under his skin. It bulges and stretches as the immature trilliths move within his body. It looks incredibly painful… but after three months, the man has probably become accustomed to the pain. “Oh, you decided to join me!’ he cackles in a broken voice. There isn’t much physical resemblance, but the voice is unmistakable; it’s Lord Griggan.

“You have known about me for months!” he sputters. “You look like dwarves but you aren’t. You trapped me here, to torture me, but I know everything. I know ev…urglbrg… rything!” A creature sliding under his skin slid up his throat and into his mouth as he was trying to talk, before slipping back down into his chest. The Defenders attempt not to become ill. “It’s all clear here! The thoughts… and speech… and can go anywhere I want! But not to touch, never to touch, except for the pain.” He begins to rock back and forth and whimper. “Pain. Pain. Pain.”

Velendo starts towards him, but his eyes snap open again, wild with hatred. “You took my wife. She loves another, and is bearing his father’s whelp! I’ll destroy her, and destroy your friend, and destroy the traitorous slut who seeks to take what’s mine! If you…” TomTom has heard enough. He mind blasts Griggan, but the immature trilliths inside of him seem to give him some protection. At the psionic blast, Griggan’s body quivers with activity, and it takes another mind blast to knock him fully into unconsciousness.

“We’ve got to get these things out of him,” says Velendo, looking sick.

“I know,” says TomTom, looking sicker. “They’ve burrowed all through his body.”

They set to work with TomTom’s jambiya of sharpness. Only the knowledge that nothing can truly die on this demiplane makes the task even remotely bearable.

Eventually an amazed Agar rejoins them, shortly before Velendo uses a heal and a restoration spell to repair the damage that was done to Lord Griggan. Realizing what is happening, Agar helps where he can. The three finally take Griggan’s unconscious form back to the bridge and then the entry way, moving with just a thought. TomTom triggers the gate with a psionic thought, and then all four are back in the basement of House Clearwater, away from the horrible mental hum of the overlaid plane.

Using fire, the group kills the immature trilliths that they found, destroying them once and for all in a place where they can actually be killed. Then TomTom slips the psionic helm of memory alteration over Griggan’s head. They discuss what memories to change; TomTom settles for a few specifics. He fogs the memory of the demiplane, making the time he spent in it harder to recall, and implants a memory that the demiplane was destroyed as Griggan was rescued. He also makes Griggan believe that he was rescued by dwarven engineers, and removes the knowledge that Griggin’s wife Lady Brea was made pregnant by Nolin’s father.

At long last, sweaty and mentally exhausted, TomTom has done as good a job as he knows how. “It will have to do,” he says. “Let’s go find a servant, turn him over, say we found him wandering, and get out of here.”

“First,” says Velendo firmly, “let’s seal this thing off once and for all.”

To be continued!

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Another forbiddance followed by a wall of stone ensures that anyone, including the covetous Shara, will have a hard time reaching the demiplane. The illusion-clad heroes then carry the unconscious Lord Griggan up towards the first floor. They hand him off to the first servant they find, and hightail it for an exit. It’s unlikely that their ruse will hold up under heavy investigation, but it’s good enough to carry them through the next few weeks. After that, they’re more likely to be underground than in Eversink.

Meanwhile, Nolin has disguised himself as a fish-seller and gone to chat up the cook. He is charming and understanding, and wrangles a cup of tea from her as he subtly questions her about Lady Brea. He leaves with the suspicion that the cook knew who he really was and didn’t care. He also leaves with the knowledge that few tears would be shed if Lord Griggan never returned – fat chance of that now - , that Lady Brea had an unrequited love for a certain master bard in the city, and that she was currently visiting a friend on an island outside of the city. Off Nolin goes, to sweep her away physically if not romantically. His plan is to take her with the Defenders when they go to the Citadel of Kodali’s Retreat, the extraplanar fortress where time moves much faster than normal. There she can spend four months of pregnancy and have her half-elven baby, all in the equivalent of less than a day back on the Prime. Nolin has already arranged for someone to foster the child, and then Lady Brea can return to House Clearwater and claim that she lost the baby. It isn’t a perfect solution… but Nolin is convinced that Griggan would have the baby killed as soon as he found out it wasn’t his.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <>

The next day, Lady Brea is safely hidden in the Temple of Calphas, everyone has gotten a good night’s sleep, and the group splits up once again. This time, they use teleport without error and wind walk to head more than a thousand miles to the southeast. Velendo, Agar and Nolin are headed to the Tower of Lord Emperor Congenio Ioun, to warn him of the commune results and to ask him again for help. Tao, Mara and Malachite are headed for the exotic desert city of Corsai; Tao seeks to retrieve a stolen girdle of giant strength that she knows is somewhere nearby, Mara intends to talk to an old friend of hers in the Temple of Aeos, and Malachite intends to seek out the ousted members of his Holy Order. And then it’s back to Eversink by the end of the day, to sleep in preparation for the planar journey the following day.

No one ever claimed that the Defenders were lazy.

To be continued….

Next couple of updates: the terrifying battle that was a lot less terrifying because the DM forgot something important! The meeting with Ioun, and a horrible realization! Mara arranges what no one else could… and a trip to the inner sanctum of the Knights of the Emerald Chapel!

(contact)

Explorer
He leaves with the suspicion that the cook knew who he really was and didn’t care.

Well, he's:

1) Handsome as Hell
2) Paying attention to me
3) Extremely Handsome
4) Famous
5) Flirting with lil' ol' me, and
6) Rich

:) Works for me!

KidCthulhu

First Post
Yeah, but Nol actually had really good reasons for trying to be incognito. I guess I really blew my Disguise roll. And after I'd rolled in those fish and everything.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This time, the Civic Minister decided that the group’s news was worth alerting Ioun about directly, and so she dispatched a manservant to summon him. Thus, Velendo, Nolin, and Agar have settled down to wait in the comfortable meeting chamber. Three times in this magical iron tower, all through the same door, and they hadn’t ever been in the same room twice! In the three years since the Defenders had saved him from time stasis and effectively brought him back to life, Archmage Congenio Ioun has built himself a small empire in the war-torn western plains, but he doesn’t seem to be a very hands-on leader; otherwise, it’s more likely that he would be inspecting armies or surrounding himself with flouncing sycophants instead of isolating himself in a hard-to-reach tower.

Most emperors would demand that visitors enter their throne room in the midst of much pomp and circumstance. Not Ioun. He silently teleports into the meeting chamber, suddenly appearing in his throne-like chair as if he had been sitting there all along. “It’s pleasurable to see you again after these three years,” he remarks dryly. He’s aged a bit; there are more wrinkles around his colorless eyes, and his pale hair seems a bit thinner. More than a dozen ioun stones orbit his head, and to Agar’s magically enhanced vision, the Archmage is surrounded with crawling enchantments that shimmer around his body.

Velendo starts things off. “Thank you for seeing us. I know how busy you must be.”

“Indeed. But I owe you a debt that has not yet been repaid.” He coughs dryly, politely. “What concerns you?”

Velendo and Nolin explain what they’ve learned about Sir Aleax, using the politest of diplomatic language: that there seems to be a divination block, that communes from several churches have pointed to inconsistencies, that the army led by Aleax may be misguided or more vulnerable than it at first appears. They do not share any of the conclusions that they have drawn from this, just the bare facts.

Ioun leans back in his throne and eyes them. “And what would you have me do with this information?”

The Defenders exchange worried glances before Velendo answers. “We make no recommendations and have no suggestions, Sir. We merely thought that you would wish to see for yourself the results of our communes, and draw your own opinions.”

The Emperor raises one eyebrow. “But surely…. Smoketallow, Benholm. Your opinions, please. What would you do if you were in my throne and were presented this information?”

More worried glances. “No opinions, Sir. You know the state of the church of Aeos, and the state of the armies, better than we do. We simply wished you to have this for planning purposes.”

Ioun steeples his fingers in front of them and regards them drily. “I see. This information is appreciated. At worst, I have a double agent in charge of my armies who is leading them into ruin. At best, someone appears to be trying to play me for a fool, confounding my own divinations on the matter.” He taps his fingers together, a minor gesture which Nolin senses is hiding his extreme irritation. “Irksome.”

Suddenly, Ioun is on his feet with his purple robes billowing, although no one really saw him stand up. “We had promised you aid if we could spare it. We can't, but you deserve it nevertheless. I have several items – an ioun stone that increases your wisdom, one that creates a deflective force around your body, a few other tactical aids – which you are welcome to. They were crafted by me, and with luck they should serve you well.

“Now, I will bid you good day, as you have introduced an added level of complexity into my strategies that I need to account for. Please help yourself to food and drink," he gestures at a sideboard that instantly becomes laden with a seven course meal, "and take rest if you need it before you depart.” And with one last look at the group, he smiles slightly, nods, and disappears.

An hour later, full of ancient wine and delicious fruits and freshly roasted meat, the group sets off in wind walk form back to their rendezvous point. One major power group formed… two to go. Nolin voices what everyone is thinking.

“I wonder how the others are doing?”

• Note: as far as I know, Sagiro went into this meeting with Ioun expecting to ask him to contact the church of Aeos and personally ask for them to perform divinations about both Aleax and a “Aeosian historical figure currently active in the church,” in the hopes that the church would also get contradictory results. I believe that he was also going to ask Ioun to push for an Aeosian miracle to dispel the divination block. However, this didn’t happen! I’m still not sure why.

As far as I know, something very interesting happened when I left the game for ten minutes to talk to my sister on the phone. No one will tell me what their conversation was about, but they all looked horrified when I came back to the game. They all shut up, too, afraid of making a gratuitous Rule One violation. Nevertheless, I think their chain of logic went like this:

a. A spell that could block divine divinations is more powerful than any we’ve ever heard of.
    b. As far as we know, Ioun is the most powerful spellcaster alive today. He might be able to craft such a spell, if he had a reason to.
    b-1. He has a reason to. If the Aeosian army went to attack the ghouls instead of the Necromancer Kings, that would leave Ioun’s new empire without a trained and capable force that is both willing and able to wipe out the threat to his borders once and for all.
    c. Ioun has a history of making short-sighted choices that seem to be a great idea at the time, but which may create new problems.
    Conclusion. It isn’t inconceivable that Ioun engineered the divination block for his own purposes, either purposefully or inadvertently aiding the ghouls in the process. We ought to be very, very careful.

That’s what I think they discussed, but no one will tell me. This is just guess-work on my part, which may or may not be accurate (and which may or may not be correct.) Interesting theory, eh?

To be continued!

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ummm... it's still Tuesday in the US?

Wow, how lame! I'm trying to write a complicated bit, and need to go back to the players for details. That'll show me for waiting, swamped with other stuff or not. In the mean time, here's two pictures of the Defenders.

Standing, left to right: Malachite (ie Blackjack), Shara (ie Fajitas), Raevynn, Arcade (ie Bandeeto), The Crawling Chaos, Dylrath/Cadrienne (ie Sialia), Me, Rofan, and Claris (ie Sito Rotavele).

Crouching, left to right: Kirisandra (ie wisdomlikesilence), Palladio (ie Dr. Rictus), Nolin (ie KidCthulhu), Tao (ie Jobu), and TomTom.

(Guys, if any of you object to me posting these pictures, let me know and I'll delete them.)

Attachments

• defenders two v4.jpg
    defenders two v4.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,952

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases