• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pitiful Monk, your speed impresses me not.

coyote6

Adventurer
KarinsDad said:

The run action allows you to multiply your speed by 3 or 4. It is dependent on what your speed is, armor, and encumberance and not the fact that it is acquired via magic.

FWIW, technically, the run action allows you to multiply speed by 3, 4, or 5: 4 normally, 3 in heavy armor (or heavy load), 5 if you have the Run feat.

(Interestingly, I don't think the results of a character with the Run feat in heavy armor/load are given anywhere -- is it x3 (heavy armor overrides Run), x5 (Run overrides heavy load -- seems unlikely), or x4 (they cancel out -- I'd go with this one, probably).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Uller said:

I completely agree with you...but how do you KNOW that the multiplication rule is not applicable here? I don't see anything that says this should be an exception(although it certainly "feels" like it should be).

The Run Action does not multilply your Speed by 3 or 4.

The Run Action "allows" you to move 3 or 4 times your Speed. It is a mode of movement, but does not in any way change your Speed. PHB page 127 and 142.

What is your Speed? Your Speed is the final result of your race, armor, spells, etc.

ER doubles your speed. If you are a Halfling in Heavy Armor with ER cast on you, your Speed becomes 30 (15 * 2). You could then run at a 90 pace.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:

Humans (and all Core PC races) don't have a Swim speed. Or a Fly speed. Or a Climb speed, or a Burrow speed.

Thanks for pointing this out Hyp. Swim and Climb speeds are not something that has ever really come up in our game.

But, this does point out that Swim and Climb speeds will be increased by the ER spell because minimally, the spell increases the base speed of the spell caster. Good thing to know.

Morose

First Post
This whole thread is exactly the reason we changed Expeditious Retreat and the Boots of Springing and Striding in our campaign to a flat movement bonus of +30ft. Solves all this madness about x4 suddenly turning into x8. :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Morose said:
This whole thread is exactly the reason we changed Expeditious Retreat and the Boots of Springing and Striding in our campaign to a flat movement bonus of +30ft. Solves all this madness about x4 suddenly turning into x8. :)

What madness?

(30+30) x4 = 240
(30x2) x4 = 240

For a unencumbered human, elf, or half-elf, not much of a difference.

For an encumbered halfling, gnome, or dwarf who is typically half the speed of the human, your revised spell helps them out a lot:

(15+30) x3 = 135
(15x2) x3 = 90

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
KarinsDad said:

The Run Action does not multilply your Speed by 3 or 4.

The Run Action "allows" you to move 3 or 4 times your Speed. It is a mode of movement, but does not in any way change your Speed. PHB page 127 and 142.

What is your Speed? Your Speed is the final result of your race, armor, spells, etc.

That makes sense. This is what I thought, but I couldn't put it into words.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:

I'm guessing he means

(30x2) x4 = 240
(30) x4 +30 = 150

Like adding sneak attack damage to a crit instead of multiplying it in.

-Hyp. [/B]

30 + 30 = 60
(30) x4 +30 = 150
(30x2) x4 = 240

15 + 30 = 45
(15) x3 +30 = 75
(15x2) x3 = 90

So, the encumbered small sized character walks three quarters and runs half the speed of the unencumbered medium sized character.

In either case, this helps out the small sized characters percentage-wise quite a bit.

strongbow

First Post
Probable solution to what's been nagging you

I think the reason that there is confusion about this is on account of the Fly spell description. In the back of some people's minds, this is stuck in.

So to clarify:

1) If you use the FLY spell, you can't run.

2) If you get flight from another means that does not duplicate the FLY spell, you can run, per the monster manual.

Hopefully this will clear up this disagreement.

(Editing note: See the italicized text in the spell description below.)
From the SRD:

Fly

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Travel 3
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The spell’s subject can fly with a speed of 90 feet (60 feet if the creature wears medium or heavy armor). The subject can fly up at half speed and descend at double speed. The flying subject’s maneuverability rating is good. Using the fly spell requires as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally. The subject of a fly spell can charge but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load (see page 142), plus any armor it wears.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject drops 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also falls in this way if the fly spell is dispelled.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Re: Probable solution to what's been nagging you

strongbow said:
I think the reason that there is confusion about this is on account of the Fly spell description. In the back of some people's minds, this is stuck in.

So to clarify:

1) If you use the FLY spell, you can't run.

By this, you mean that you cannot use the "run action" (or run mode of movement) while using a Fly spell, correct? Why not?

strongbow said:

2) If you get flight from another means that does not duplicate the FLY spell, you can run, per the monster manual.

Hopefully this will clear up this disagreement.

It doesn't clear it up for me.

To me, your base speed gets improved via ER due to the descriptive text in the spell. Flight speed is not base speed.

Climbing speed and swimming speed are only affected if they are derived from your base speed. Flying speed, burrowing speed, and all other speeds are not affects. JMO.

Remove ads