D&D 5E Pixies

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I wouldnt give them any stat negatives.

Just make the Tiny have the disadvantages... carrying capacity is lower, disadvantage on Strength Saves and checks, share space with others, move through others spaces, the idea that they can only use "light" or "finesse" melee Weapons, and short bows. I dont think there is much need to nerf their weapon damage output much more than that, tbh. Maybe they can only use 1d4 weapons in the off hand.

I think the 4e fly is a good rule. I like the faerie dust idea when flying.

Fralex

Explorer
Speaking of pixies ... anyone got a link to some pixie miniatures?

Rich Burlew made a ton of different pixie miniatures that you print and fold into little tents, but as far as I can tell only people who backed his kick starter can download the miniature sets right now. If you're friends with anyone who reads Order of the Stick, try asking if they were a backer. They'd be perfect for an all-pixie adventure if you can get your hands on them. Man, I wish sharing the PDFs over the internet wasn't against the rules, or I'd just send you them myself. Sorry I can't be of more help!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Using Liane the Wayfarer's excellent listing from post #11 and the Monster Manual entry, I come to something like this...

Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -4 Strength (minimum 3).

Age, Alignment, Languages, as per Liane

Size: Tiny. As a Tiny creature, the pixie is also subject to the following traits:
Tiny Weaponry: The character can only wield the following weapons: Club, Dagger, Sickle, Dart [thrown or as fired from pixie-sized bow], Sling, Whip (pixie-sized, reach 5') and the following Light weapons as two-handed weapons: Hand Axe, Light Hammer, Spear [pixie-sized, reach 5'], Scimitar, or Short Sword.
Nimbleness & Naturally Stealthy: as the Halfling abilities.
Speed: Your speed on foot is reduced to 10'.

Flight: Movement speed is 30' while flying and can hover, as per MM. You can not fly while encumbered or wearing medium or heavy armor. Pixie Dust trail, as described in MM, has chance to reveal location in flight, even while invisible.

Superior Invisibility: as per MM.

Pixie Dust: Once per long rest, the pixie can use a handful of their pixie dust to cast one of the following spell effects (save DC 10 + Cha. mod.): dispel magic, fly, confusion, polymorph.

Preternatural Senses: The pixie has advantage on all Perception rolls. The pixie also knows if there is an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend or undead and/or if an object or location has been magically consecrated or desecrated, within 30' and where it is.

Innate Magic: Cha. spellcasting ability. At will: Druidcraft. @3rd: Sleep 1/day. @5th: Phantasmal Force 1/day.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The adventure is designed for a party of pixie adventurers. I'd like to convert it for 5th Edition, so I'm going to make a bunch of pregens. How would you build a pixie race? It's for a one-shot, so in some areas I'm not so bothered about longterm balance.
Not worrying about balance makes it easier....

racial bonuses to charisma and dex.
Flight as in 4e, ie you need to end your turn at low altitude.
Invisibility on a short rest, but flying leaves a visible trail of pixie dust even when invisible.
Can talk to animals
cool

Really low strength - I've never quite agreed with pixies being anywhere near strong - so they must rely on finesse weapons in melee.
It's so easy to get by w/o STR in 5e, so not a problem, but how will you handle weapons (see shrink item comment, below)?

From 4th, I'd take out the pixie dust power and shrink item power (as it's a one-shot)
Sounds like there'd be no non-Pixies to use the Peter Pan reference on, anyway. ;)

Shrink item served the purpose of letting the pixie take normal-sized treasure, but it also seemed to be part of their ability to do full damage with weapons (you could have a pixie barbarian, for instance). Making them dependent of finesse weapons is fine in 5e, it doesn't cut off any class choices, and doubly so in a one-shot where you're making those choices, anyway.

Anyway, if you use some sort of shrink item ability, letting them, say, shoot arrows that grow back to full size in flight, and thus do full damage, you open up more things for them to do (relatively effectively) in combat. Otherwise just have them depend on cantrips and the odd 'poisoned'* weapon.

*the classic pixie used sleep-inducing poison arrows, IIRC.

Remove ads