Planescape Planescape: Fantasy Taken to the Edge (5e conversion)

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I have not.

A lot happened since I shared this in 2014? 2015? Had a few years break from roleplaying due to friends having children, personal challenges, grad school, and so forth. Got back into it again in 2018 playing in a friend's Pathfinder game, then ran 5e Tomb of Annihilation, a few one-shots, and then COVID happened. We just started a new campaign online which is more Egyptian fantasy. So I haven't returned to Planescape in a while, even though I think of the setting very fondly.

You're welcome Vini! Hope it serves you well. And welcome to ENWorld :)

That "Chris Perkins" document is great btw. No idea who the original author is, nor if it's the Chris Perkins closely associated with D&D or not. My friend found it somewhere online years back. I think I may have linked to it in my OP or one of my followup replies too.

The detailed Renown-Faction system was implemented by Adventurer's League after I'd shared my rough ideas for translating Planescape to 5e. So the author must have drawn on the AL Renown-Faction document as inspiration.

Both are equally valid ways to approach the factions. Use whichever you like best!

Another approach worth checking out is Jacob Driscoll's: Faction Backgrounds - Jacob's Personal Wiki He treats the factions as backgrounds, but then he also adds a 3-tier Renown model reflecting the old namer/factotum/factor breakdown of Planescape faction ranks, doling out advancing abilities as you rise through the ranks. I think his approach strikes a nice balance and is very well designed.

I can see Namers for different factions being backgrounds, but Factotums? That needs to be a class, no?

Remove ads