Planescape Planescape

Edo DV

First Post
I heard rumors of Planescape being one of the incoming settings for D&D 5th ed: has that been confirmed yet?
Also any hints on how that will be treated? I miss the old AD&D setting, planes in the others just didn't feel the same.

Sorry if that has been asked already but I'm quite new to the forum and I tried searching for that but didn't find anything.

Shiroiken

Legend
Planescape is basically the default setting for the Multi-verse for 5E. The Elemental Planes have been tweaked, the Feywild and Shadowfell added, and the Positive and Negative Material Planes moved (they are now the outer shell of all existence, rather than in the inner planes).

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6798994]Edo DV[/MENTION]
I don't know your source, but no, there's been no indication of a re-released Planescape setting for 5e.

Though Out of the Abyss does have a bit about the Great Modron March, lots of planar monsters are in the Monster Manual, and the cosmology is essentially the Great Wheel. Maybe the rumors came from some fanboy seeing the GMM reference in Out of the Abyss and "interpreting" that in a favorable light for his dream of Planescape in 5e?

I'd say so far 5e is more planar friendly than actually replicating Planescape, if you understand the difference. Would be easy enough to homebrew, though, and you'll find several of us have doing / are doing just that.

Edo DV

First Post
Thank you Quickleaf, that clarifies a lot.
I'll be glad to have a look at your 5e resources: I just noticed Planescape is first in the list!
I'm kinda sad D&D tends to include planes in other editions but lose the real flavor of Planescape in the process: it really was a lot about Sigil, the Lady and factions to me. And the slang! God, i loved that slang!

MG.0

First Post
I'm kinda sad D&D tends to include planes in other editions but lose the real flavor of Planescape in the process: it really was a lot about Sigil, the Lady and factions to me. And the slang! God, i loved that slang!

I dunno, I very much enjoyed the planes in 1st edition, but never cared for Planescape in 2nd edition.

To me Planescape became more about the city Sigil than about the planes themselves. Ironic considering it was originally intended as merely a homebase from which to launch planar exploration. The factions were mildly interesting, but the slang was like fingernails on a chalkboard. It irritated the heck out of me. The fonts and artwork in the books did nothing to help.

While not having played 3rd or 4th editions, I have extensively read their treatments of the planes and found them utterly disappointing. 5th is better but still not great.

My campaign's cosmology is homebrewed, but probably closer to 1st edition than anything.

All we really need for 5e Planescape (well, all I need) are the monsters/creatures to fill out the planes satisfactorily. Beyond that, you can just mix the DMG material with either the free 3e Planescape campaign setting, or buy the original as a pdf from dndclassics.com.

Most likely that's all we'll get too, but really--is that a bad thing?

Quickleaf

Legend
Thank you Quickleaf, that clarifies a lot.
I'll be glad to have a look at your 5e resources: I just noticed Planescape is first in the list!

You're welcome. Bop over to www.planewalker.com too! The site is recovering from a nasty crash, but they've got the old content on a GoogleDrive DropBox you can access, and myself (and others) are repopulating the forums. I also have a project over there designing a Planescape mega-adventure (akin to Out of the Abyss) you might be interested in.

Btw, while Planescape did narrowly win the favorite setting of ENWorlders a couple years back, the slang was contentious. Particularly among Australians and English folks. Beware who you admit to liking it to ;)

To me Planescape became more about the city Sigil than about the planes themselves. Ironic considering it was originally intended as merely a homebase from which to launch planar exploration. The factions were mildly interesting, but the slang was like fingernails on a chalkboard. It irritated the heck out of me. The fonts and artwork in the books did nothing to help.

Agreed. Although I liked the fonts and artwork style, the slang and focus on factions really detracted from the setting. Factions drove everything to alignment extremes, IMO, as everybody tried to make their pigeonhole stand out from the rest. Alignment has never been a positive focus for the game. Beyond that, I always found it a very interesting setting for higher level play.

I would've preferred a more basic faction structure. One good faction which had a lot of internal politicking, one neutral faction, possibly one or two evil factions, then any number of disorganized independent minor factions.

Last edited:

Remove ads