Plant-based races

aramis erak

Legend
I know Degenesis has Primer-based creatures, PF has vegpigmies, the Elves in Sundered Skies are at least half-plant, and Fading Suns has the Symbiots, but are there any other sentient plant races in other settings?

Sci-fi, fantasy, whatever.

Anyone know of any?
Elves in RuneQuest/Glorantha are plants. Not visibly to humans, but they are.
(Gloranthan Dwarves are all earth golems, too.)

Technically, the Warhammer Orcs are fungi.

aramis erak

Legend
Never picked up Gloriantha, so that’s all news to me!
it's clear in RQ III (the Avalon Hill &/or GW editions) in the bestiary, and in HeroWars...
It's notably absent in the Mongoose RuneQuest first edition core and monsters books.
It's also not present in the 2nd edition core, but it's hinted at. It is, however, explicit that there are 4 types of Aldryami - Elves, Dryads, Runners, and Pixies. And they share one cult. And distrust (often to the point of hatred) Dwarves.

Plus, older RuneQuest/Glorantha don't have halflings; but ... Mongoose's editions added them. I don't know if newer non-mongoose editions do. Also note: I don't have any of the 1E/2E Chaosium editions material except the core, and only have the core and a couple supplements for 3E... but the AH/GW 3rd ed is chock-a-block full of goodies.

RuneQuest, especially if using Glorantha, is odd... genderless dwarves, plant-based elves, a cubic world, chaos monsters right out of the Eternal Champion series and Lovecraft...

Sir Brennen

Legend
Dragon #352 had an article on Bas-Lag, the world in which China Miéville's Perdido Street Station novel (and its sequels) takes place.

There the cactacae - big, hulking cactus men with weapons that fire buzz-saw disks - are detailed for D&D 3.5.

Last edited:

Ringtail

World Traveller
Pathfinder also has the Ghoran and Vine Leshy's. . .

I don't know if Leshies were in PF 1e (probably were), but I know in 2e they have several heritages. I believe Leshies are sapient constructs created by druids out of plants.
  • Fungus
  • Gourd
  • Leaf
  • Vine

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Gamma World, any version that has a Plant Mutation table, you can work out a plant character. Use the Mutated Animal character creation rules as a template.

GW may be too corny and over-the-top for you / the group as you have described them in other threads.

I recommend the 1983 edition (a proto- D&D 3e) or GW/Alternity as playable rules systems.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There are surprisingly few plant based monsters, let alone races, in D20 games (which is my experience).

The Kelpie, mycinoids, uh, need to reboot, brb

Remove ads