Pathfinder 2E Play report (Extinction Curse spoilers)

CapnZapp

Legend
A brief summary of our first session of the Extinction Curse Adventure Path.

Five players:
  • Croezan, human male fighter (clown)
  • Leena, half-orc female barbarian (animal wrangler)
  • Mork, gnome male wizard
  • Kurat, goblin male ranger (living bouncy-ball)
  • Brynhilde, half-elf female cleric (wasp tamer)

The circus performance was a critical success, mostly (if not wholly) due to the random event: the tent collapsed, which limited Anticipation to 10. Not only did this lower their target number from a very difficult 15 Excitement to a much more reasonable 10 Excitement, it also saved their bacon on multiple occasions, since the Anticipation could not rise. This increased their Circus Prestige from 1 to 5.

The adventuring was... less successful.

The first real encounter was with the pods in the Ringmaster's wagon. And they got wiped out. Yes, after two rounds three out of five heroes were unconscious on the ground and the hazard hadn't taken a single point of damage! That's Pathfinder 2 for you! :LOL: Five heroes vs a single Hazard 3 - a guaranteed TPK were it not for the way the combat could be "blocked".

(The pods rolled well on Initiative, and scored three hits out of its five. All three struck heroes became confused, and randomly attacked each other. I suggested to the two unharmed heroes they block the entrance with the fallen-off door, and thus break off the combat.)

They never really recovered after that. They used up whatever healing they had left, including me having the Professor give them their show bonus in Healing Potions (twelve in total).

Then they managed to placate Bardoph with a lucky Animal Handling roll, before he could maul them. They went to investigate snakes in the woods, and managed to kill two vipers and one giant viper, but not before the fighter got poisoned and was a single "death save" (a much better term than "recovery check from dying") from death.

At that time, they were thoroughly beat, and retreated to recuperate for a few hours. (Thanks to Medicine, you almost never need days in PF2 to gain back your hit points, "only" hours).

But of course this adventure isn't some static dungeon where you can just walk back to Starter Town and the dungeon just sits their until you return...

Sensing that they weren't ready after the first hour for the show down with Nemma, I had to improvise - I had her proceed with her original plan: killing off people. So I randomly rolled two NPCs, and rolled a random die to indicate the "severity" of the attack. For the first, the Cook, I said she was beset upon by rats, but managed to fend them off without too much trouble - perhaps she poured out boiling hot soup over her attackers. For the second, however, I rolled 8 on a d8. The NPC was Axel, so I narrated how he was found dead and bloated from snake poison, just like Thunder Stendahl. He never did get to perform after all (they selected him but could not get him to overcome his stage fright)...

At this point, they told all the NPCs to gather in a single location, circling the wagons as it were. After one more hour of healing up (everyone is at full health, except the ranger at ~half), I decided Nemma had had enough. Singling out individual targets was no longer possible, so it was time to make her frontal assault.

And with that, the session ended.

CapnZapp

Legend
This space seems as good as any to upload my expanded circus roster, with portraits of every important NPC.

This document contains a number of tweaks - two performers are level 2 (since the first circus show is next to impossible otherwise), there are expanded circus rules (as discussed over at Paizo's GM forum for the AP), and the backstories of the Sideshow members have been altered to match the pictures.

Finally, I have cobbled together a number of soapy relationship stories to flesh out the life of the circus between shows. I have asked the players to each select one NPC with which their character has a relation (anything from drinking buddy to spouse), giving them a +5 bonus to social interaction checks vs that NPC.

(Croezan chose Gerban the Carpenter; Leena chose Elizia the Snake-Charmer, Mork chose Gunner the Dog-Faced Dog, Kurat chose Tanterra the Bouncer, and Brynhilde chose the Flamboni Sisters.)

The document isn't very NSFW, but it isn't PG either.

Attachments

• Circus Roster Total.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,326

Porridge

Explorer
A brief summary of our first session of the Extinction Curse Adventure Path.

Five players:
  • Croezan, human male fighter (clown)
  • Leena, half-orc female barbarian (animal wrangler)
  • Mork, gnome male wizard
  • Kurat, goblin male ranger (living bouncy-ball)
  • Brynhilde, half-elf female cleric (wasp tamer)

The circus performance was a critical success, mostly (if not wholly) due to the random event: the tent collapsed, which limited Anticipation to 10. Not only did this lower their target number from a very difficult 15 Excitement to a much more reasonable 10 Excitement, it also saved their bacon on multiple occasions, since the Anticipation could not rise. This increased their Circus Prestige from 1 to 5.

The adventuring was... less successful.

The first real encounter was with the pods in the Ringmaster's wagon. And they got wiped out. Yes, after two rounds three out of five heroes were unconscious on the ground and the hazard hadn't taken a single point of damage! That's Pathfinder 2 for you! :LOL: Five heroes vs a single Hazard 3 - a guaranteed TPK were it not for the way the combat could be "blocked".

(The pods rolled well on Initiative, and scored three hits out of its five. All three struck heroes became confused, and randomly attacked each other. I suggested to the two unharmed heroes they block the entrance with the fallen-off door, and thus break off the combat.)

They never really recovered after that. They used up whatever healing they had left, including me having the Professor give them their show bonus in Healing Potions (twelve in total).

Then they managed to placate Bardoph with a lucky Animal Handling roll, before he could maul them. They went to investigate snakes in the woods, and managed to kill two vipers and one giant viper, but not before the fighter got poisoned and was a single "death save" (a much better term than "recovery check from dying") from death.

At that time, they were thoroughly beat, and retreated to recuperate for a few hours. (Thanks to Medicine, you almost never need days in PF2 to gain back your hit points, "only" hours).

But of course this adventure isn't some static dungeon where you can just walk back to Starter Town and the dungeon just sits their until you return...

Sensing that they weren't ready after the first hour for the show down with Nemma, I had to improvise - I had her proceed with her original plan: killing off people. So I randomly rolled two NPCs, and rolled a random die to indicate the "severity" of the attack. For the first, the Cook, I said she was beset upon by rats, but managed to fend them off without too much trouble - perhaps she poured out boiling hot soup over her attackers. For the second, however, I rolled 8 on a d8. The NPC was Axel, so I narrated how he was found dead and bloated from snake poison, just like Thunder Stendahl. He never did get to perform after all (they selected him but could not get him to overcome his stage fright)...

At this point, they told all the NPCs to gather in a single location, circling the wagons as it were. After one more hour of healing up (everyone is at full health, except the ranger at ~half), I decided Nemma had had enough. Singling out individual targets was no longer possible, so it was time to make her frontal assault.

And with that, the session ended.

Out of curiosity, did any of the PCs use hero points against the hazard?

The PF2 APs seems to be balanced around the idea that PCs will have plenty of hero points, and use them. So if the players haven’t gotten used to using hero points at opportune times, that can make things harder for the PCs.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm using an alternative set of Hero Point rules in my campaign.

Feel free to check them out! :)

CapnZapp

Legend
The PF2 APs seems to be balanced around the idea that PCs will have plenty of hero points, and use them.
I'm not sure I like the implication; that the crutch that-is-hero-points is an essential part of the official AP experience. And "plenty" feels like an exaggeration either way, seeing that you would likely have only 2 hero points at that stage (maybe five hours into the session). And that's assuming the player hasn't spent them already!

In contrast, my analysis is simple - the hazard is quite deadly against a level 1 party when it wins initiative.

(But that assumes "fair" combat - had the party scout not rolled poorly on Perception, they might have won automatically; if given a chance to come up with a cunning plan to destroy the pods from a distance.)

My point isn't that PF2 is unfair.

Just hard. Much MUCH harder than 5E :)

JeffB

Legend
Yeaah, I'm thinking PF2 is going to be the polar opposite of 5E when it comes to how deadly game play is.

Does PF2 have a low level equivalent of revivify?

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeaah, I'm thinking PF2 is going to be the polar opposite of 5E when it comes to how deadly game play is.

Does PF2 have a low level equivalent of revivify?
The equivalent spell is called Breath of Life. It is 5th level, and requires the Cleric to be able to use a reaction exactly when the ally is killed.

So the short answer would be no.

CapnZapp

Legend
It does force a more cautious style of play. But players can still stabilize right? Death isn't instant?
What happens when you fall to 0 hp in PF2 would be familiar (but not identical) to a 5th Edition gamer.

For those of us less familiar with PF 2e, could you explain in more detail? Do the PCs have bad attack bonuses?

Confusion said:
Spell 4
You befuddle your target with strange impulses, causing it to act randomly. The effects are determined by the target’s Will save. You can dismiss the spell.

Critical Success The target is unaffected.

Success The target babbles incoherently and is stunned 1.

Failure The target is confused for 1 minute. It can attempt a new save at the end of each of its turns to end the confusion.

Critical Failure The target is confused for 1 minute, with no save to end early.

Is that balanced for a 3rd? level adventure?

Remove ads