Playable Large Characters

Glade Riven

Adventurer
For some reason, going between Small and Medium size creatures in 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4e works out fine. But from Medium to Large (at least in 3.5 & Pathfinder)? It doesn't work well. There are balance issues, which means I have to creatively solve/work around on the fly, etc.

I'd like to have a large size creature be playable on par with Medium and Small characters without things breaking - at least not too badly.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, just drop the reach stuff, the increasing damage for weapons and the plethora of size related bonuses and it will be fine.

But in 3.5 (and I imagine pathfinder), it only really matters if you are a large melee guy. A large caster never caused trouble in 3.5, mainly because I never ever saw one.

Stormonu

Legend
One of the things I was surprised to find was that back in 2E (as laid out in Combat and Tactics) Large humanoid creatures only took up a 5' space. It was actually 3.5 that changed this.

I'd really like to see Large creatures as PCs "feasible" in 5E.

Mattachine

Adventurer
In 3e (3 and 3.5), Large PCs got a significant boost in power because of reach (and AoOs). Since they were typically used as strong melee types, it just made them too powerful for most campaigns that started at low level.

Arytiss

First Post
In 3e (3 and 3.5), Large PCs got a significant boost in power because of reach (and AoOs). Since they were typically used as strong melee types, it just made them too powerful for most campaigns that started at low level.

This is pretty much it. I recall playing a Dragonkin (custom savage progression) that had me as being large at 1st level. Wielding a polearm with combat reflexes and the shorten grip feat from Dragon I could AoO any square within 20ft from 1st level multiple times.

S

Sunseeker

Well, just drop the reach stuff, the increasing damage for weapons and the plethora of size related bonuses and it will be fine.

Also considering that a LOT of "large" playable creatures fall into the tauric(large bodies, normal limbs) category, reach isn't even an issue there. Sure, there's giants and stuff, but then you've got all those half-humanoids like Slitheen, Driders, Lamia, ect...

-----

IMO, large or small shouldn't have any mechanical advantages until you're reaching fairy or colossal size. Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes can all fall into the "small" category, and any bonuses they get should be purely racial, not size-based. Goliath's, Minotaurs, Ogres,(maybe even dragonborn) can all be "large" and their only benefits are racial, not size-based.

Until you're down to 1ft in height or over 20, being shorter or taller shouldn't provide you with a serious stat-based mechanical advantage.

This is why I created "vanity templates" for my 3.5 games. Want to look like a half-dragon, drider, or other large creature but not deal with any of the mechanics of it, fine you look exactly how you want to, no mechanics needed.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yep. Exactly why I don't like PCs with "large" mechanics. You want to play a tall character? Fine, he's very tall -- no mechanical advantage.

I agree whole-heartedly, but we all know that the main reason people do play creatures like that is for the mechanical benefits. And they are going to cry if they don't get an advantage, or simply pick one that does.

BobTheNob

First Post
When we were playing 2e Dark Sun we had a half-giant (which really was a half-giant, not a re-badged race :) ) and didnt have too many problems. But the reason we didnt have problems was because we were playing 2e and were "rules light". Apart from the fact that he was stronger and had an enormous HP pool, there werent that many complications.

Remove ads