Played Gamma World 4E for the first time...

Holy Bovine

First Post
... and I loved it. Ran a few friends though the freebie Gamma World Day adventure Trouble at Freesboro. We had a Radioactive Plant (a sentient potato named Bud the Spud), a Rock Doppleganger and a Radioactive Mind Coercer (he launched 'brain slugs' at his opponents to force them to attack their allies - it was also played that he was mind controlling the other PCs to be friends with him).

It was an absolute riot - I haven't laughed that hard during a game session in months. We kept mostly on track and the group was promised a nice house in the city if they would only find out what was going on at the nearby MedCen Park.

They, after some good RP in town with the mayor and his flunkies, got into a firefight outside the Park with some radioactive birds and their Porker allies (they also had an android helper along). They handled them quite well and the fight took barely 30 minutes. We were running short on time by this however (we only had the room for 3 hours and spent about 30 before hand making up the characters - PC generation was a breeze and also fun!) so i 'fast forwarded' them to the final confrontation with the BBSoEG (Big Bad Sort of Evil Guy) in a room with a time travel machine and laser turrets! They did pretty good here too and their powers never got old - even though they each only had 2 they seemed to find fun uses for them - the doppelganger player loved creating his duplicates and the sentient potato liked crushing people in his vines then lazoring them with his eye beams (potatoes have a lot of eyes!). The Alpha and Omega cards were a blast with the potato whipping out a plasma sword in the end to dispatch the last Porker. They sadly couldn't figure out how to shut down the time machine before it exploded seemingly killing them all :( No one seemed too sad though and not even the fellow who showed up late and, when told we were running 4E Gamma World, acted like the character sheet I showed him was suddenly covered in toxic sludge put a damper on the experience.

A fun simple system that would be ridiculously easy to expand into a campaign worthy game.

edit - sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum - I honestly thought 4E GW discussion belonged in the 4E forum!

Last edited:

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Sounds like fun!

When you mentioned the time machine, my first thought was a machine that could send a character a round or two into the future or the past within the same battle... and then my head exploded. If I could figure out how to make such a thing work (and let's be clear, if it's ever going to work it's going to be in Gamma World), that would be totally cool.

My buddy bought it and we plan to play soon. After looking through it, the feel of it seems a lot different than the original Gamma World, which to me and my friends was, kind of, "dark." (our group playing in the city's bomb shelter helped reinforce that too ha). Granted, it's been a long time. Now it seems really light-hearted, almost like Toon. I'm not trying to have any preconceived notions, and I'm not meaning to flame, and I do look forward to playing. And I'm glad it started out with a good review. I'm just hoping it still has the "Gamma World" feel to it. But I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
My buddy bought it and we plan to play soon. After looking through it, the feel of it seems a lot different than the original Gamma World, which to me and my friends was, kind of, "dark." (our group playing in the city's bomb shelter helped reinforce that too ha). Now it seems really light-hearted, almost like Toon. I'm not trying to have any preconceived notions, and I'm not meaning to flame, and I do look forward to playing. And I'm glad it started out with a good review. I'm just hoping it still has the "Gamma World" feel to it. But I'm skeptical.

Your group really doesn't sound like the 'norm' for the original GW. Most everyone I have ever met irl or online who has played says they played as a gonzo 'wahoo' setting. Which the new version supports 100%. You could make it dark i guess but you'd have to ignore pretty much 100% of the fluff text.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Sounds like fun!

When you mentioned the time machine, my first thought was a machine that could send a character a round or two into the future or the past within the same battle... and then my head exploded. If I could figure out how to make such a thing work (and let's be clear, if it's ever going to work it's going to be in Gamma World), that would be totally cool.

*gick* a little brain matter just leaked out!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases