D&D 5E player knowlege vs character knowlege (spoiler)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Telling example.

If the DM (or other player) is in a mindset of evaluating or assessing the validity of the roleplay, just as the teacher is grading exams or an academic is reviewing an article, then...yeah. That's going to happen.

But is that the job of the other people at the table?

I wasn't going for the parallel in jobs, I was going for the idea that sometimes something breaks you out of what you're trying to do.

I could have gone with watching movies and noticing shots that zoom onto logos and finding yourself wondering about product placements. If you don't usually notice the brands that show up in movies and don't bother to usually check product placements -- but once every dozen movies there's a stop motion pause onto the hood ornament, and when you check it was a product placement -- is that more a viewer thing or a movie maker thing? Or maybe it's reading historical fiction and having bits of modern slang or current news references show up.

Likewise, all the accusations of "not roleplaying" and doing it for "gamist" reasons have been replied to many, many, many times, in this thread and others. And yet the denigrations continue.
I said the 'gamist' thing in response of description of specific type of play, i.e. the one where the objective is to overcome dungeons and monsters by player ingenuity. This is was not to imply that you all play that way, merely that I could see why in such context the thinking would make some sense.

As for roleplaying. I think I was a bit confused about this earlier, and I am now a bit less but still a somewhat. Because, yes, I can see how one can justify pretty much anything from IC perspective, at least in theory. Now it just happens that some of those justifications might be utterly ludicrous, and to my mind would lead to bad roleplaying. Then again, I doubt those absurd situations happen in practice, but this, as I have said may times, is only dye the players having internalised that at least certain types of metagaming are bad and simply don't do it. This is what one does in a freeform when there is not GM, but it still really isn't a 'anything goes' situation, it merely is that there is not one clear judge of what's acceptable and it is more of self judging/group consensus situation. That D&D actually is a game which has a designated referee to me implies that this referee actually can adjudicate such things if needed.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I've wished for light sabers, flying cars, and teleporters, even though they don't exist in this world.

Is that metagame thinking leaking through from another dimension?

Young me and my friend's characters ended up with a pair of F-14s and thought they were awesome. The smile the memory brings to my face not withstanding, tt does feel like what you were asking for though, "an example of an action for which there is NO in-character reason". :)

G

Guest 6801328

Young me and my friend's characters ended up with a pair of F-14s and thought they were awesome. The smile the memory brings to my face not withstanding, tt does feel like what you were asking for though, "an example of an action for which there is NO in-character reason". :)

How so? What's the action you are thinking of? The 'wishing' part?

As I just tried to illustrate, even though teleporters don't exist, my son has taken the action of wishing for one.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
EDIT: Maybe a better example is my 7-year-old son, who we don't allow to watch most media, has fantasized about having "a machine that let's us get to (place we frequently drive 4 hours to) in one second". Is he metagaming?

Wishing for a machine to get us from one place to another in once second seems like something a lot of people might want. Wishing for the Starship Enterprise to be in orbit so Geordi can transport you around as needed feels different.

G

Guest 6801328

It's a non-solution for me. Staying in-character and having the game ruined does not work.

But we just agreed (didn't we?) that your annoyance happened out-of-character. It was Max, not your character, that was annoyed.

G

Guest 6801328

Wishing for a machine to get us from one place to another in once second seems like something a lot of people might want. Wishing for the Starship Enterprise to be in orbit so Geordi can transport you around as needed feels different.

Ah, so is it that you think the specifics...the "F-14" or "Starship Enterprise"...make it a different situation?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
How so? What's the action you are thinking of? The 'wishing' part?

As I just tried to illustrate, even though teleporters don't exist, my son has taken the action of wishing for one.

I used wish to get F-14s. I then flew them.

If I wished for a flying machine I could use to get the dragons, and then used it, that seems different to me. It could very well have resulted in me getting F-14s and a knowledge dump on how to fly them.

Replied similarly to your sons desire for teleporters. I too would like one if he ever succeeds!

Remove ads