• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E player knowlege vs character knowlege (spoiler)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Perhaps it was that to you. You can say that without trying to awkwardly psychoanalyse people you do not know.

My analysis is about the approach, not about the person. Criticizing an idea isn't the same thing as criticizing a person... unless of course you are saying the idea I'm criticizing is part of your identity. If it's not, then your statement doesn't hold.

G

Guest 6801328

Perhaps it was that to you. You can say that without trying to awkwardly psychoanalyse people you do not know.

Is it any more out of line than the nearly constant accusations (some direct, some more oblique) that people who don't care about OOC knowledge are "gamist" or "not roleplaying" or "don't care about believability"?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My analysis is about the approach, not about the person. Criticizing an idea isn't the same thing as criticizing a person... unless of course you are saying the idea I'm criticizing is part of your identity. If it's not, then your statement doesn't hold.

"probably" and "likely" in your statements seem to want to throw a wide net. :::shrugs::

Any of those who study psychology have any references on if zealotry a personality trait that survives conversion? I don't think I google searched the right things.

G

Guest 6801328

It's the other way around actually. Since there is no in character reason for it, it pops me out of the fiction.

Can you give me an example of an action for which there is NO in-character reason?

(Note that this isn't the same as thinking, as a player, that the actual reason is not in-character.)

Is it any more out of line than the nearly constant accusations (some direct, some more oblique) that people who don't care about OOC knowledge are "gamist" or "not roleplaying" or "don't care about believability"?
Yes. Those are actions, not sweeping assumptions about the motivation or psychology behind those actions.

No. You are making sweeping and baseless assumptions about people's motivations.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No. You are making sweeping and baseless assumptions about people's motivations.

Sweeping? Maybe. Baseless? No. One need only read this thread to see the basis for this conclusion, particularly in what looks like post-hoc reasoning for not taking two simple steps to neutralize the effects of "metagaming" without demanding control over player action declarations.

Sweeping? Maybe. Baseless? No. One need only read this thread to see the basis for this conclusion, particularly in what looks like post-hoc reasoning for not taking two simple steps to neutralize the effects of "metagaming" without demanding control over player action declarations.
I tell you very kindly that your conclusion is wrong, and I have already explained many times why that is. Perhaps these things were true for you, that I cannot know, nor it is something that I would speculate upon.

Remove ads