D&D 5E Player wanting to become vampire/half-vampire??

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, one of the players in the game I'm running for my son (middle school, level 12 now) had an idea months and months ago for one of his characters to try and become a vampire. A priestess of Hecate said she would try if he caught one and brought it to here. The vampire escaped being caught, and they had to move on...

But then they caught the one in white plume mountain. And then they saved a huge Kami from mind flayer domination, they're probably owed some favors and he wants to try again.

So...
(1) Any helpful thoughts on a partial transformation that could let him still get out and about? Or a full one that would but not turn him into a bloodsucking undead monster?
(2) Anything/one in Japanese mythology/legend that might be appropriate for trying such a thing? They're currently in the pseudo-Japan section of the world, and if needed have earned an audience with the emperor. He might be willing to trade Blackrazor as part of the deal.

moriantumr

Explorer
I would want to know why the player wants to be a vampire. To be cool? To get some benefits from it? To eat people?
Why does the pc seek this? It sounds the pc has some desire, but does it understand what being a vampire entails?
I would ask my player in an aside what they want from this, and figure out if you are willing to grant what they want. If you okay it and make them a vampire but it is not what they are hoping or expecting it to be, it will feel bad for both of you.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I would want to know why the player wants to be a vampire. To be cool? To get some benefits from it? To eat people?
Why does the pc seek this? It sounds the pc has some desire, but does it understand what being a vampire entails?
I would ask my player in an aside what they want from this, and figure out if you are willing to grant what they want. If you okay it and make them a vampire but it is not what they are hoping or expecting it to be, it will feel bad for both of you.
My guess is that it's to be cool...

The being that helps him with it will discuss what he's giving up by doing it (I'm hoping he thinks the Dhampir sounds a lot better than Vampire...).

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
What kind of game are you running? Is the tone a bit more serious, do you guys stick to the rules, or is the game a bit more goofy and loose with how things are handled?

The Dhampir from WotC (I think it was in Wild Beyond the Witchlight?) could work. But if the game is a little more serious or story-driven, it might be interesting for your son to explore why he wants to become a vampire and how that might change how people view him. Maybe even having him talk to the vampire you guys captured to get a sense of what his life has been like (I mean it can't be going all that well if he was being hunted and captured by your PCs). What role do vampires have in your game world?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What kind of game are you running? Is the tone a bit more serious, do you guys stick to the rules, or is the game a bit more goofy and loose with how things are handled?
It's the first campaign for two of the three players. I think they think it has had a good mix of the serious and humorous. We've gone pretty much with the rules in combat, but been a bit loose otherwise.

The Dhampir from WotC (I think it was in Wild Beyond the Witchlight?) could work. But if the game is a little more serious or story-driven, it might be interesting for your son to explore why he wants to become a vampire and how that might change how people view him.

I think my son wants his friend to drop the idea :) Having whoever helps him with it talk through everything is something I'll definitely do.

Maybe even having him talk to the vampire you guys captured to get a sense of what his life has been like (I mean it can't be going all that well if he was being hunted and captured by your PCs). What role do vampires have in your game world?

The first one was kind of a classic preying off of the people but with flair, vampire. This second one that they caught is a bit more unhinged after being trapped in White Plume Mountain for ages.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I think my son wants his friend to drop the idea :) Having whoever helps him with it talk through everything is something I'll definitely do.

Sorry, I thought it was your son that wanted to be the vampire. It definitely sounds like he maybe just wants to be edgy. I remember when I first started playing and all I wanted to do was play an evil necromancer. :p (Honestly, still kinda do, lol)

The first one was kind of a classic preying off of the people but with flair, vampire. This second one that they caught is a bit more unhinged after being trapped in White Plume Mountain for ages.

Don't know if you're read I, Strahd, but what you said reminds me of something from that book. In it Strahd turns an old enemy into a vampire, only to lock him in a sarcophagus where he would remain immortally confined and staving for blood. It's pretty brutal, but demonstrates one of the downsides to being an eternal creature of the night.

Remove ads