• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players don't provide wish lists... What would you do?

Jhaelen

First Post
Part of the problem is that most players don't like homework. Scouring all the books for magic items is homework.
Yup. In my game I don't explicitly ask for a wish list, if I need some input I just ask them casually what kind of items they'd be interested in. More often I feel that I don't even have to ask:

If I see that my Barbarian player has created a charge build, it's a safe bet, he'll enjoy getting an item that will boost his charge ability in some way.

If the Cleric player complains he's missing too often, it's probably time for a better implement.

If I notice the Fighter goes down often, he'd probably be happy about something that either improves his defenses, allows him to heal himself or increases his hit points in some way.

OchreJelly

First Post
I'm surprised there's no mention of the 'transfer enchantment' ritual in this discussion. I find it to be a pretty elegant way for players to get what they want out of fairly random loot. A player finds a flaming sword but likes to use and axe? No problem! Transfer that baby.

Wish lists are an oddity that I think only appeals to select-player types such as the power gamer; someone who likes to pour over the AV books. My players are pretty satisfied with what I hand them (mostly).

That said, as a DM I think it's pretty important to note some basics about the characters in the campaign. Notably watch for weapon feats players take because they are making an active investment in that type of weapon, but things like 'transfer enchantment' can help mitigate that.

Edit:
I would go further to say that the ritual system might also offer further ways to customize items. I was thinking about creating a higher level ritual called something like "metamorph item". This would take an item and completely turn it into something else. The mechanics would be pretty simple, something like: convert item of X level into item of X-1 level.

Last edited:

I guess I'd just try to get their character sheets, check if they had picked any focus/expertise feats and special proficiencies for armor, weapons or implements, and then pick something random* from the list of items fitting that type.

They don't get anything "tailor-mode" beyond that. If they wanted to have a Radiant Weapon or a Dawn Warrior Full Plate, they could have told me. ;)

*) random probably being not rolled randomly but simply "Hey, that name sounds cool, let's pick that". I guess that might be too much effort occassionally.

Your players might enjoy finding cool unknown loot. In my current 4E campaign I handle treasure much as I did in 1E. The treasures found are appropriate for thier location/difficulty of obtaining them. Magic items are easy to sell for higher prices but buying is rather more difficult.

As far as "needing" a certain level of items I say phooey. The PC's might have some easy encounters and others might be too tough for them regardless of what baubles they might have.

Raven Crowking

First Post
You could make them give you a wish list as a sort of skill challenge.

Tromping through a dungeon, they discover a group of monsters in a queue. These are tougher monsters than the PCs would like to fight, but they don't seem to be interested in fighting. If the PCs succeed in a skill challenge, the monsters explain that they are in line because of their wish lists, and the PCs can join the line.

Another skill challenge lets them get to the front of the queue.

At the front of the line is a seated fat man dressed in red with a snow white beard. Two tough-looking polarnorth eldarin stand at either side, managing the queue. A stickykid goblin imp is scooted off the fat man's lap, and the PCs are allowed to approach one at a time.

"Now, Johnny, what do you want on your wish list?" the fat man says.

A final skill challenge is needed to convince the fat man that the PCs are not on the "naughty" list. Knowing most players and PC groups, this is probably the hardest skill challenge the PCs face in this setup!

RC

EDIT: When -- not if -- the players complain that this is too silly, tell them to just give you wish lists as an alternative. Or the fat man will be back. :lol:

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
RC -- that is the sort of thing that would fit right into an old-school game. Not so much the wish list rather the really bad joke. ;)

Remove ads