• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players gone wild in Hommlet - RTTOEE

Wicht

Hero
bardolph said:
My PC's actually LIKE it when they get punished for their crimes. It gives them the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing that Good is winning out in the end, even if the PC's are on the wrong side of it!

heh - that actually made me smile and laugh

DM Ok Bob - they throw you in jail and throw away the keys.

Bob Thats a relief - for a moment I thought I was gonna get away with it all. I congragulate the guards on a job well done and ask for plenty of torture.

Storm Raven

First Post
med stud said:
I checked out a punishment for a well known brigand in France during the 17th century, and you might adopt if you want:
They broke all his joints with an iron club, and tied him to crossed poles where they let him die of his injuries. It took the rest of the day.

This was refined in some ways into a commonly used punishment using a iron bound wagon wheel to break the bones of the condemned until he died. This was called being "broken on the wheel", and its unequal application was one of the abuses that to some degree led to the boiling social anger that fueled the French Revolution. This sort of thing led to people petitioning the King to be allowed to be executed via beheading or hanging rather than being broken, burnt, boiled alive or any number of the other nasty ways of killing people used in the time period.

Being beheaded wasn't a picnic either. In many cases, the condemned was expected to pay the headsman to ensure he did a quick job. And, in the case of those with enemies, they frequently had to compete with spectators who would pay the headsman to "miss" and prolong the process. It reportedly took about fifteen strokes to behead Mary Queen of Scots when she was executed, several strokes "missing" and hitting her across the shoulders.

Storm Raven

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
Keep in mind that the Law consists of past adventurers, not lifetime watchmen. This could mean that while they would certainly excecute the murdering Cleric and Barbarian, as past adventurers they know that when you commit to a group you follow through. Rufus and such should be able to see that the fighter was trying to make the best out of a totally fux0red situation by helping his lifetime friends, but killing any guardsmen. Good reason for why he gets off with a lighter sentence, or even alive

If I were in their position (or DMing the game), I would disagree with that assessment. Rufus and Burne rely upon the town watch to keep order and deal with trouble in the town. Keeping the town watchmen satisfied (and keeping the citizenry confident that they are being protected) is of much greater importance than being "understanding" to a vagabond adventurer whose companions slaughtered an innocent barmaid, several watchmen and committed a collection of other crimes. In short:

Keeping the watch happy = Important
Being nice to those who associate with criminals = Of no importance whatsoever

Committing to a group doesn't mean "following through when that group decides upon a criminal or evil course of action". Personal responsibility enters into this sort of thing, and when members of your group decide to ride down the fast train to perdition, you should know enough to get off right away. I would also say that in the case of this particular group "committing to a group" would be a detriment. Guilt by association would weigh heavily on the minds of Rufus and Burne, and even more so given their previous careers as adventurers.

Zouken

First Post
The Trial

After a fitful night's sleep in a cold and dark prison cell,
Raven is brought (in chains) into a large stone room in what must be Hommlet's keep. Sitting at a large table is a council consisting of Burne (middle aged man in dark blue robes), Rufus (brown-haired man in shining platemail),Canoness Ydey, a priest in white robes, and Elmo.

Soldiers in chainmail stand against the walls, and the room is filled with villagers. You are lead before the council and Burne raps a gavel and a soldier standing beside you yells, "Order to the Court!" The room becomes silent and the council looks at you with steely eyes.

Burne begins, "State your name and place of origin for the court"

You answer, a scribe writing all of the proceedings into a large musty tome.

Burne - "Raven you have been accussed of the following crimes: Resisting Arrest, Assaulting an Officer of the law, protecting a murderer, and distirbing the peace. You have also been observed keeping company with evil and malicious personages."

Burne - "Redithidor and Elmo will you please each tell us your observations of the crime that has been committed"

Redithidor comes forward and speaks - "Though I never liked the murderer and madman Nereve, he and his group seemed to be decent sorts and his companions were in most cases quite agreeable, I would
have never imagined this would have hap...."

Burne - "Get to the point Redithidor, tell us your version of the crime, your opinion is not needed or desired at this time"

Redithidor - "Yes, well, Twas midday in the common room of the Inn of the Welcome Wench. The room was empty but for myself a couple of the cleaning boys, and a newcomer to the town who's name I believe was
Charni, or something along those lines. She seemed an OK sort. She had come into the in inquiring about the party of adventurers that had been investigating the Moathouse. She then ordered a drink and sat down at the bar. At this point the party came down into the common room. The halfling known as Pill went out into town and the rest of the group went over and started talking to Charni. She asked them about the Moathouse and whatnot and the Cleric known as Pret starting casting some spell. Charni looked surprised and a little worried and put out and the group started questioning her about some cult. She claimed to not know a thing about a cult and looked frightened as the animal Nereve moved in on her. At this time
the cleaning boys were sent to summon the watch. Charni continued to plead her innocence as the cleric cast another spell and stated, she's evil!" The madman then drew his blade smote the woman's head in two, and stood there looking through Charni's belongings. The cleric stood by, I began to leave, when the man standing here, Raven I believe, called for me to stay put if I knew what was good for me. I stayed away from the brutes and a this time Elmo and the watch arrived and ordered the group to surrender. The beast charged Elmo and the guard moved around to apprehend the other members of the party. The cleric promptly drew a wand and engulfed the room in flame, killing a number of the guardsmen. At this point I fled to
the keep to notify yourself and Rufus of what was going on."

Burne - "Thank you Redithidor, would anyone like to comment on this testimony?"

Yday stands - "We have investigated Chani and she was indeed evil and a member of the cult of the elemental eye. It seems that she and some other cultists had been hiding in the Millhouse, and had killed the master of the Mill. Apparently, Chartrillion and Madroson were also members of the cult. When this group returned with Chartrillion's belongings after venturing to the Moathouse, Madrosen was approached by the barbarian, who promptly informed her that her boyfriend was dead and showed her Chatrillion's rapier. She went missing at this point and contacted the members of the cult hiding in the Mill. They organized an ambush on the road to the millhouse and left Charni (whose real name is Chenashi) in town to keep an eye on things. The ambush party never returned, so Chenashi watched the party and on this day approached them to try to discover what
had happened. It has also been revealed that Kodex the paladin had been killed in this ambush. His soul has been sent to St. Cuthburt and his body and belongings to his family in Verbobonc. This Nereve, has also always seemed a troublemaker and cur to myself. The party came to my temple just this week asking to have this infidel cured from a cocktrice's petrification. I was reluctant to cure this one, but the party had been investigating the evil cult, thus I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I am now greatly sorry that I have cured this beast, and recommend that he and this party be punished in the name of the Gods."

A guard brings forward a chest, an ochre robes, and some other items.

Burne - "These items were found in the basement of the moathouse and will be held as evidence."

A bandaged looking guard comes forward - "I would like to speak on behalf of this man, he resisted arrest but I have been told that he healed me and struck no lethal blows during the scuffle. I would like the court to take this into consideration. The beast and priest on the other hand should be given the full justice of the court."

Burne - " Thank you corporal Jopath, this will be noted."

Elmo stands - "I would like to remind the court that the watch and myself are charged with keeping the peace. I can vouch for Jopath's testimony, but I would like to state that this man did resist arrest, assault members of the watch, and do nothing to stop the beast Nereve from murdering or be brought to justice."

"I would also like to report that Nereve has been accused of threatening a number of the citizens of the town, destroying
public property, and acting as a vagrant in addition to his other charges, and the party has been warned."

Burne - "Would anyone like to say anything to this?"

A string of villagers comes forward to testify against Nereve including the halfling shopkeep.

Burne - "This will all be noted"

Yday speaks - "I would also like bring attention to the fact that Nereve has been proven to be evil himself and a danger to
this world, he must speedily be dealt with."

Burne - "Thank you Yday, would anyone else like to speak on behalf of this man?"

You try to speak Burne says - "Prisoner, you will speak when spoken to you will be allowed to speak on behalf of yourself at
the end of these proceedings"

Burne - "We now come to the subjects of the outlaw Pret, and madman Nereve. Baliff what are these men charged with?"

Baliff - "Nereve - Murder, three counts, resisting arrest, assaulting an officer of the law, distirbing the peace, inciting a
riot, thuggery, vandalism, and vagrancy"

Burne - "Because this creature is obviously insane and proven evil, he will not be allowed to speak for himself. Would anyone
like to speak on his behalf?"

The courtroom is silent, a villager shouts - "Kill the demon-spawn!!!!"

The courtroom roars, Burne stands, raps his gavel and yells - "Order, order in the court!!!"

The villagers slowly quiet down.

Burne - "Baliff, read the charges against Pret the Outlaw"

Baliff - "Pret - Murder, three counts, resisting arrest, assaulting an officer of the law, distirbing the peace, arson."

Burne - "This man is at large at the moment, would anyone like to speak on his behalf"

The room is silent.

Burne - "The council has already decided on the fates of the two prisoners that are not present."

"The beast Nereve will be hanged by the neck until dead directly following these proceedings, his remains will be burned, and then soaked in holy water."

"The outlaw Pret will have a bounty of 3000 gp on his head with the accussed to be returned dead or alive to be brought to justice"

"The halfling Pill has not been charged, but if he is apprehended he will be questioned, if he is currently in the company of Pret, he will be charged with protecting a known felon."

Burne - "Prisoner, it is now your turn to speak for yourself, before the council decides your sentence."

The room becomes silent as everyone looks at you.

Zouken

First Post
I've now given the fighter a chance to speak for himself. He won't be able to make it to any sessions for the next month, so we're doing everything via email. I'll post his response when I recieve it.

Zouk'

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: The Trial

Zouken said:
Burne - "Prisoner, it is now your turn to speak for yourself, before the council decides your sentence."

That was an excellent rendition of what I would consider an appropriate trial. The various mitigating factors were brought in, the crimes charged were carefully detailed, the witnesses provided specific information and there was even the appropriate use of magic. I applaud your clear and well thought out response to the PCs wantonly destructive activities. Pursuing this angle is probably your best hope of getting the PCs to respect the NPCs as more than automatons who exist for the PCs to abuse in the future.

Summoner

Explorer
The Fighter

I think that the fighter should get off pretty much scot free. It is a frontier town as you claim. Which the only crime he did was resisting arrest maybe assaulting the guard... Its hard to arrest somebody on conspiracy and as an accomplice in a frontier town.

The Lawful Good civilization would be in favor of using the death penalty... The barbarian and the cleric should be executed... but what fun is that.

Swing the characters into a darker and more evil bent. They are broken out of jail by a couple of evil sneaky gits... these men are EVIL. The PCs can either try atoning through good deeds as outlaws or join the EVIL gits. Either way this keeps the campaign going. Honestly... If they go the evil road, I can see them coming back to Hommlet in about 15 levels and torching the place. Very EVIL not a good idea for a campaign. But, the atoning is a good thing. If the PCs are interested in playing a character on the brink of falling from the light forever, trying to get back into graces of the gods.

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: The Fighter

Summoner said:
I think that the fighter should get off pretty much scot free. It is a frontier town as you claim. Which the only crime he did was resisting arrest maybe assaulting the guard... Its hard to arrest somebody on conspiracy and as an accomplice in a frontier town.

Oh I tend to disagree on that point. Frontier justice is probably much more rough and tumble than that found in more civilized areas, and people are more likely to jump to conclusions quicker. To make an analogy with the Old West of the US, it was usually much easier to convict someone for essentially having bad companions (conspiracy to commit crimes) and for helping criminals (being an accomplice or accomplice after the fact) than it tended to be in the more settled eastern regions.

Zouken

First Post
The barbarian will be killed. I don't want to run a killing spree campaign, and the barbarian is beginning to be played like a homocidal manic. If the other players want to keep their characters, the rogue, cleric, and fighter can be salvaged.

Zenon

First Post
I like it! After the game session, be sure to reinforce to your players that you did not do this out of maliciousness towards them. You must maintain that you are an impartial judge, but actions in your world have reactions, especially if they are of the kind your crew pulled in the Inn.

Keep us updated!

Remove ads