Player's Guide to Eberron (Book Approval)

Patlin

Explorer
I don't have this book, and so cannot responsibly vote. Well... mostly. Is Artificer's Monocle the same as it is in the Magic Item Compendium? If so, I can vote YES to that.

Wik

First Post
Re: Shocking Fist - At first, I saw it as a problem, and I was gonna nix it. But the more I think about it, the more I think it's probably okay. You essentially lose 1 HP to deal an extra 2.5 HP on an attack. And it forces 'forged to make natural attacks, instead of using big, beefy weapons.

a 'Forged with a BAB of +3 and STR of 15 would lose 3 HP and would wind up dealing 4d4+2 points of damage (avg dmg 12). Meanwhile, same 'forged, using a Greatsword does 10 dmg (2d6+3) on average (without Power Attack), and isn't losing HP.

So, yeah, I YES on that one.

RE: Jungle Juice - where is it? I can't find it in my copy.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
I don't have this book, and so cannot responsibly vote. Well... mostly. Is Artificer's Monocle the same as it is in the Magic Item Compendium? If so, I can vote YES to that.
I won't vote against any of the ones you were asking about, stonegod, but the Artificer's Monocle, if it is the same as MIC, is an atrociously gamebreaking item that is priced extremely poorly. 1500 GP for a free Identify at will (never mind that a 1st-level spell at will is normally 2000 GP for a slotted item and that this item might as well never use up a slot because you only put it on when you are identifying the item and take it off afterwards, so even by the regular formula, if it weren't Identify, it would cost 3000 GP at least. I would charge 53,000 in a home game (if I was also using the silly 3.5 1 item per identify and full information rule--if not, they won't get enough uses out of it, so I would probably ad hoc charge only 15,000 or so) because of adding 50x the material component of Identify, and it might still save them money depending on how many items are found). People keep trying to get in infinite free identifies, and I'm going to keep voting them down.

So NO on Artificer's Monocle.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
I won't vote against any of the ones you were asking about, stonegod,...
I assume that's not a vote for any of them, either. ;)

Rystil Arden said:
People keep trying to get in infinite free identifies, and I'm going to keep voting them down.

So NO on Artificer's Monocle.
Its actually cheaper in the MIC than in the PGtE (a lot more, though I don't recall) and in PGtE, it only works for Artificers with their artificer's knowledge ability. There are a few more differences, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

I've already had my say on the ID issue (see here and here). In short, I like the skill-based options in the MIC and they don't take away from extant options.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
I assume that's not a vote for any of them, either. ;)

Its actually cheaper in the MIC than in the PGtE (a lot more, though I don't recall) and in PGtE, it only works for Artificers with their artificer's knowledge ability. There are a few more differences, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

I've already had my say on the ID issue (see here and here). In short, I like the skill-based options in the MIC and they don't take away from extant options.
I didn't vote in favour of those others because you said they already pass without me. I'd definitely be willing to vote in favour of the poisons and the healing one if you like. The electricity attack seems like it could be sketchy in certain situations, but I won't vote against it.

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
I didn't vote in favour of those others because you said they already pass without me. I'd definitely be willing to vote in favour of the poisons and the healing one if you like. The electricity attack seems like it could be sketchy in certain situations, but I won't vote against it.
We have only two votes on the poisons. Still needs one to pass.
We just got three on the electrical attack w' Wik's.
Still only have two on the warforged damage-to-self-to-heal.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
We have only two votes on the poisons. Still needs one to pass.
We just got three on the electrical attack w' Wik's.
Still only have two on the warforged damage-to-self-to-heal.
Wait, damage to self to heal? I thought it was just a once-a-day heal. I must have read it wrong.

YES on the poisons.

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
Wait, damage to self to heal? I thought it was just a once-a-day heal. I must have read it wrong.
-2 penalty (not damage, my bad) to Str and Dex for 10 minutes to heal 5+HD hp.

Edit: Once per day.

Remove ads