• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Guide to Faerûn...more power??

Kroax

Explorer
Mystery Man said:
It's down again

It's up again. IIRC then Wizards' homepage sometimes have problems on some computers. But I may be wrong...

Anyway, maybe it is powerful. But I don't care!

If I don't think it fits my campaign, if it's because of the power level or the "flavour", I don't allow my players to take levels in it. But that usually the power level doesn't matter, since my party is probably unbalanced as it is already, one way or the other. My job is to entertain my players, I don't care if they make a overpowered PC, if that's what they like and the rest of the group don't mind. It's not like I can't throw in more challanging encounters because he's powerful. If the players' character can be overpowered, well, then so can mine.

In-game I rule the world!

But, hey, maybe that's just me.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mystery Man said:
It looks like you'll have lo play a few different things for a while just to get there.
Special: The candidate must be a member of the hammers of Moradin.
So, how does one becomes a member of the hammers of Moradin. I mean aside from being a dwarf (unless they accept non-dwarves), it has to be more than completing a membership application form and pay your dues, right?

As for unbalanced, are you saying it is unbalanced for D&D or unbalanced for Forgotten Realms?

Dalamar

Adventurer
Besides, you can only utilize full attack with thrown warhammers once per encounter, and then you've got hammers on the floor. And if you want to throw them, you have to move before attacking, or lose the hammer.

Besides, some of the abilities (namely the goblin-, drow-, and giantkiller) might never come up in a game. And to get the maximum out of your abilities, you need a good Str and Cha, and Dex wouldn't hurt if you're going to be hurling that warhammer of yours, and a Wis of 14 to get in through paladin by level 8 (a easier way would be Cleric 3/Fighter 5, and you only need a Wis of 12).

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Mystery Man said:
It looks like you'll have lo play a few different things for a while just to get there.

Race: Dwarf.
Region: The Spine of the World.
Base Attack Bonus: +7.
Skills: Craft (weaponsmithing) 10 ranks.
Feats: Iron Will, Weapon Focus (warhammer).
Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells.
Patron Deity: Moradin.
Special: The candidate must be a member of the hammers of Moradin.

So in essence, this would be an 8th level character, 7 levels paladin, one level PrC.

Okay. Now, an 8th level paladin gets 2nd level spells (is high enough Wis). 9th level gets Remove disease 2/week. 10th Smite Evil 3/day. Not too great in comparission.

However, he might be using a dwarven war axe with weapon focus with power attack and have great damage potential. Feats are a way to balance out a PrC over the long run and the weapon selection her, warhammer, goes into that factor.

d4

First Post
Dalamar said:
Besides, you can only utilize full attack with thrown warhammers once per encounter, and then you've got hammers on the floor. And if you want to throw them, you have to move before attacking, or lose the hammer.
nope. look at their 2nd level ability: all hammers thrown are automatically returning. :)

BobROE

Explorer
d4 said:
nope. look at their 2nd level ability: all hammers thrown are automatically returning. :)

You'd need to carry around hammers equal to your number of attacks, and haev quick draw to get draw them (since the hammer doesn't return till the next round). And throwing a hammer does prevent you from moving if you want it back.

langolas

First Post
Zappo said:
So he has to be a pal8 before qualifying, waste 10 skill points, take the suboptimal Iron Will feat and another feat which he would have taken anyway.

QUOTE]

I read it twice and I saw nothing that REQUIRES that you be a paladin. It did mention that Fighter/Clerics and paladins are the most common Hammers, though. just an observation!
Still, a pretty interesting PRC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads