• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, & Sorcerers

Mercule

Adventurer
Argent said:
I have always "themed" my Sorcerers. I sort of see them as the Mutants oer the D&D worlds.

Funny, that's how I view psions.

I tend to look at the Wizard/Sorcerer duality as an example of why we need a non-Vancian magic system. Still, untill I get around to creating my own system, this book sounds pretty cool.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Meepo,

Well I think you'll find that unlike traditional D&D thinking, the authors of the books try to think outside the box and outside convention views of each of the classes. At least I hope so! ;) We'll see when the BEST player's guide comes out, Player's Guide to Rangers and Rogues. ;)

Mer

I prefer to see psionics are more an evolutionary evolvement rather than a "mutation". Sorcerers versus wizards, I see it more of a genetic purpose, sort of like some people have been given by nature special gifts because of how they spin their magic. Wizards are the researchers, the plodders through books. It's the difference between a naturally talented pianist versus one that spent YEARS refining their craft. Only to the ones in the craft, do either seem different.

Last edited:

thundershot

Adventurer
Wait... these books are for Scarred Lands? I was hoping they would be more standard D&D, since I have my own campaign... Hm...

Chris

Nightfall

Don't worry Thunder, you can use them in ANY setting. It's really quite easy for the most part. While some of it might be SL specific, it's not much harder than using Relics and Rituals, ritual magic or tattoo creation feat.

Nightfall

Well trust me, you can rip off as much as you want crunchwise. The feats, the spells, the skills, etc, I'm sure will find some use. Same for the other Player's Guides.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Mercule said:
I tend to look at the Wizard/Sorcerer duality as an example of why we need a non-Vancian magic system. Still, untill I get around to creating my own system, this book sounds pretty cool.
Take a look at Wheel of Time, Soveriegn Stone, and the points system in AEG's Magic.

Somewhere in there may be something meeting your needs on this score.

If this book isn't too Scarred Lands focused, I'll probably pick it up.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Nightfall said:
arc,

While I'm hardly the most unbiased person, I do think even YOU will enjoy what this book offers.

But seriously Nightfall, name me a Scarred Lands product you don't feel is in a 20-item tie for "Best Product in the history of gaming, Ever!!!"

I love your enthusiasm man, but your recommendation fo Scarred Lands product is...well, not exactly a shock ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads