D&D 5E Players Killing Players for stupid reason

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Other characters you might not want to bring to a group unless they are expressly okay with it:

• The lone wolf that does everything they can to not interact with the party.
  • The kleptomaniac who has literally no control over what they steal.
  • The 'evil' character who has no sense of self-preservation and will stab a dude in front of the guards barracks and then tell his mama, who is also the captain of the guard.
  • The sex maniac, both 'lovable' and 'skeevy' varieties.
  • Anything that is a meme
  • LOL RANDUMB
Indeed. It is a group game, and part of understanding that is not bringing characters into a group that can't work in a group.

Vengeful character who keeps a "people to kill list" and makes a big showy point of adding people to it when they slight him, but effectively does nothing about it in the short term? Fine. Amusing, even. Think early Arya Stark.

Vengeful character who skips right past that to murder NPCs or PCs immediately? Not fine. In the first case you're removing other player agency from the group narrative, in the second you're removing agency entirely (or attempting to - many attempts at a sneaky player-kill fail). Think Cirsei Lannister.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Other characters you might not want to bring to a group unless they are expressly okay with it:

• The lone wolf that does everything they can to not interact with the party.
  • The kleptomaniac who has literally no control over what they steal.
  • The 'evil' character who has no sense of self-preservation and will stab a dude in front of the guards barracks and then tell his mama, who is also the captain of the guard.
  • The sex maniac, both 'lovable' and 'skeevy' varieties.
  • Anything that is a meme
  • LOL RANDUMB
Other than the kleptomaniac I've had every one of those in my games, in most cases several and in one case many times over. We're still rolling along fine here,;and each of those has, even if not always lasting very long, provided some amusement and entertainment while in the party.

The game's more fun if the characters mostly have a bit of an edge to them and are willing to stand up for themselves within the party as well as without.

Other than the kleptomaniac I've had every one of those in my games, in most cases several and in one case many times over. We're still rolling along fine here,;and each of those has, even if not always lasting very long, provided some amusement and entertainment while in the party.

The game's more fun if the characters mostly have a bit of an edge to them and are willing to stand up for themselves within the party as well as without.

You forgot one important phrase: IF everyone at the table is on board with that game style. It's up to each table to define where the line is. An "edge" too far at some (or, more likely, most) tables and, indeed, the game is the opposite of more fun.

Vaalingrade

Legend

I think we both already know we're each other's antimatter universe counterpart.

The only pizza cutter (all edge, no point) allowed in my life lives in my kitchen drawer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

That’s great for you, but the way you play is very different than the way most groups play. @Vaalingrade ’s post is solid as general advice, even if it isn’t directly relevant to your specific situation.

Remove ads