Pathfinder 1E Playing alone in my first game

Ezequielramone

Explorer
hey. my girl want to start playing rpgs. since she want to taste the experience I'm running a game for her. only her and a very short game (one or two hours).
any advise on how to make a little adventure?
she will be the only player. I'm thinking in a lvl 3 player.
I want the adventure to have some social interaction, some interpretation and one or two combats, but I'm not sure how to do that in only two hours.
do you have any idea?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
How about running a one-shot module, and create GMPCs for the additional party members? I've got Frozen Wind, which is a free survivor horror one-shot, which should take about 3.5 - 4 hours to run. While its designed for use with my Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG), so there's a definite Japanese theme to it - that might not be your cup of tea, but as stated, its a FREE download, so it might be worth checking out for that fact alone. I have other one-shot modules, though those too are for my published setting, so all very much Japanese in fluff and flavor, but those aren't free.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Keep it low level, I'd say 2nd to 3rd. Characters are tough enough to survive an unlucky hit and have a few tricks up their sleeves but not high enough level that they're complex and hard for a new player to understand. Also maybe let her play two of even three characters.

For the rest of it: ask your girlfriend what sort of game she wants to play. Give her options - combat, exploration, meeting NPCs, mystery, etc. The listen to what she says and give it to her.*

That's what I did when I introduced my girlfriend to pathfinder. She wanted characters who were good at social interaction. So we wound up with a bard, cleric of Ollidamarra and barbarian for muscle. She is playing all three of them. I take over one of them and provide a voice and some feedback when she needs to bounce ideas or just talk among the characters. They aren't the toughest group out there but are very good at talking to NPCs, winning friends and getting info. Even the half-orc barbarian has 12 Charisma.

For the actual adventure grab something low level from a Dungeon magazine or the start of an adventure path. Make modifications to it so it is more to your girlfriend's like.

And trust me, this works. At the start I had to wheedle my girlfriend into even trying "Dungeons and Dragons." She is now addicted to Pathfinder.

*This also works for birthday/anniversary/Xmas presents.

Cheers and good luck. If it works out, like it did for us, you too may find yourself gaming 2-3 nights a week with your best friend. (I know, so sweet it's sickening.)

Cheers,
Glen.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
For the rest of it: ask your girlfriend what sort of game she wants to play. Give her options - combat, exploration, meeting NPCs, mystery, etc. The listen to what she says and give it to her.*

And trust me, this works. At the start I had to wheedle my girlfriend into even trying "Dungeons and Dragons." She is now addicted to Pathfinder.

+1. Ask, and ye shall receive. And props to you, DoD, for turning one to our side. :devil:

Ezeke, I'll recommend 1st level, though. It keeps the character sheet simpler. And definitely throw in an allied NPC - that way you can give advice in-game instead of out-of-game, making the experience more immersive. And it provides a bodyguard.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Thanks all of you. She didn't know what she want to play before we played. But i heard what she said during the game and what she did with her character. She played a druid, did some exploration, kobold killing, and infiltration (by herself). She recognized danger and managed to do it through the mini dungeon very well.
She was so happy and, before I asked her, she started to tell me what was her thoughts about the game. Due that she like to write she was excited about the idea of creating a story in the way rpgs does it.

Sitara

Explorer
Get 'Sex, Dice and Gamer Chicks' by Mongoose. It will teach you how to game when you are alone with your girl. Take a free tip from me, make sure she sees you reading the book.

You're welcome.

Remove ads