D&D 5E Playing around with my Dogs in the Vineyard-inspired D&D Setting: Plague Dogs

BookTenTiger

He / Him
The Five Descents and Five Laws

Over the eons, Taiel has come down to the mortal realm and lived out the life of a human. The records of these lives are integral texts in the Mortal Church of Tael. Scholars pour over every word, and the very laws of the Church are built upon the foundation of these five tales. Some say there will be a Sixth Descent. But most prognostications are base heresy.

The First Descent: The Shield
1699565412441.png

Taiel lived the life of a soldier. Little is known of the life of this soldier. Were they a royal knight, or a common house guard? A mounted warrior in an army, or a mercenary for hire? What is known is that their sword, or spear, or bow were used to fight back the waves of chaos that threatened the mortal realm even then.

Churches of the Shield are commonly built near barracks, guard posts, or in places marked by war. People worship the Shield when they feel a need for protection, strength, or unity. Because the name of the Shield is unknown, any unmarked soldier's grave can be used as a site of worship.

Law of the Soldier: Worship Taiel, for Taiel is the shield that holds back chaos.

The Second Descent: The Scribe
1699565441839.png

Taiel lived the life of a scribe named Tolof. Educated in the arts of reading and writing, Tolof rose in the ranks of academia until he became the scribe of Queen Yvabeth. Through Tolof's detailed records, Queen Yvabeth was able to bring great improvements to her realms; roads were built and maintained, food was redistributed to the hungry, and border guards were kept stocked in spears and spirits. However, Queen Yvabeth had long been corrupted by a allied prince who worshiped Baelis, the Dreaming Child. Tolof kept notes of Queen Yvabeth's messages and meetings, and routed out the corruption before it could be spread to the rest of the realm. Yvabeth tried to keep Tolof's works from being read, but he distributed copies in the dead of night, and in a great revolution the corrupt queen was exiled to the sea.

Churches of the Scribe are often built in cities and monasteries, where Tolof's great work is continued. Scholars spend their lives translating ancient texts and writing new ones, so that Taiel's work can be known by all. People worship the Scribe when they need questions answered, corruption revealed, or to resolve sins of the past.

Law of the Scribe: Tell true of Taiel, and the works of Taiel, and tell not of others who falsely claim godhood.

The Third Descent: The Lord and Lady
1699565474106.png

Taiel lived the lives of two individuals, a lord and a lady of a small kingdom. Lord and Lady Casald ruled over a small collection of villages and farmlands. They were fair rulers. However, they could never have children of their own, and as they aged their tenants worried over who would own the land if their lord and lady passed. Tempers ran high, and it was not long before one family took arms against another. There were fires set in fields, and sons and daughters killed. The lord and lady called a council of the elders of all the families of their realm. In an unprecedented act of charity, they adopted all the elders as their own children, so that the land could stay with the families after their own lives had ended. The elders were moved to tears, and a great feast of peace was held in the honor of this royal couple.

Churches of the Lord and Lady are built in both poor villages and royal castles, anywhere families own or work the land. People worship the Lord and Lady at times of birth and death, to quell the rebellious spirit of the young, and to seek guidance in being a fair adjudicator of the law.

Law of the Lord and Lady: Worship your mother as Taiel and your father as Taiel, and worship your Lord as Taiel and your Lady as Taiel, as they worship Taiel.

The Fourth Descent: The Hunter
1699565510467.png

Tael lived the life of a hunter named Wulfbara. Raised in a forest village, Wulfbara became well-known at an early age for her skills in archery. She traveled from village to village, competing in tournaments of shooting and hunting. Her village grew prosperous because of the great quantities of meat, antlers, and foraged goods she brought in. Through her travels, Wulfbara became aware that many villages still worshiped old demons, such as the Queen and King of Briars and Nachthund, as if they were gods. She found offerings to bears and crowned bucks, and saw the vices and corruption such false worship brought. One day Wulfbara vanished into the forest, armed with blessed arrows. One by one she hunted the demons of the forests- animals who spoke in the tongues of men, the spirits who took on seductive guises, the trees whose great twisting roots hid hungry mouths. Slowly, slowly, she rid the forests of corruption. She was rarely seen in towns, and often wore a mask to hide her identity from demon-worshiping cults. Sightings of Wulfbara became rarer and rarer, until finally she was never seen in a village again.

Churches of the Hunter are built on the borders of kingdoms, or deep in the wilderness where little light of the heavenly sun pierces the thick trees. People worship the hunter for guidance when they feel lost, for luck in the hunt, and for vengeance against corrupting forces.

Law of the Hunter: There is mankind, beasts, Taiel, and no other; keep the wild to the wilderness.

The Fifth Descent: The Beggar
1699565538473.png

Taiel lived the life of a beggar named Laedro. Born into a life of poverty, Laedro begged on the streets of a large city. From his humble post at the edge of the gutter, Laedro witnessed all the lives being lived around him. He saw great noblemen laden with jewelry and fine clothes who hoarded their wealth as a poor man would, hiding his last copper penny. He saw hardworking peasants who had to sell the food they grew in order to afford the roof over their heads, and thus starved to death. He saw the great corrupting force of money. Laedro formed an organization with other beggars and priests, known in time as the Barefoot Knights. The Barefoot Knights refused to keep money, and any time they were given copper or silver they immediately sought out those who could use it for good. The holy order soon spread from city to city, and even now the Barefoot Knights travel the Five Isles, giving charity and aid to those who need it, and refusing possessions beyond a simple robe and cowl.

Churches of the Beggar are often built in cities or isolated monasteries. People worship the Beggar when they feel at their lowest, or to aid those in need of help, or to seek forgiveness for some great sin.

Law of the Beggar: Give charity to those without, for all, even those most ignorant, are of Taiel.
The Five Laws of Taiel

The Five Descents of Taiel led to the development of the Five Laws. The Mortal Church of Taiel has many sects that interpret the will of Taiel differently, but none dispute these Five Laws. When a mortal breaks one of these laws, they open a passage for a demon from Hell. Worshipers of Taiel keep to these laws, for fear of Xeno's corruption. The Five Laws are:

Law of the Soldier: Worship Taiel, for Taiel is the shield that holds back chaos.

Law of the Scribe: Tell true of Taiel, and the works of Taiel, and tell not of others who falsely claim godhood.

Law of the Lord and Lady: Worship your mother as Taiel and your father as Taiel, and worship your Lord as Taiel and your Lady as Taiel, as they worship Taiel.

Law of the Hunter: There is mankind, beasts, Taiel, and no other; keep the wild to the wilderness.

Law of the Beggar: Give charity to those without, for all, even those most ignorant, are of Taiel.

Longspeak

Adventurer
My first dip into this thread, and I will def need to get better acquainted. Dogs in the Vineyard is one of my all time favorites, and I am very interest in your re-imagining.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
My first dip into this thread, and I will def need to get better acquainted. Dogs in the Vineyard is one of my all time favorites, and I am very interest in your re-imagining.
Thanks for checking it out! I'm having fun revising it from my initial thoughts years ago and adding more to it.

Remove ads