• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing D&D much faster

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I don't necessarily feel that combat needs to be sped up at all (unless you have that one same person dragging). For our table, it takes however long it takes. Nor do we speed up Exploration or Role-Playing. We play how we play and enjoy.

There is no time pressure for anything. I realise that everyone's table varies of course.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure, some of that is visibly the result of video editing. And every D&D player knows that in every real session some time is lost with talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the game. But still, the whole play style exhibited in these videos appears very fast to me.

Is that just me? Are by freak chance all the players I have played with extremely slow? Is this some old school vs. new school thing? Is this the new D&D for the attention deficit generation? Is there some speed D&D “should” be played at, or does it vary widely from table to table? What do you think?
Though it varies with the group, D&D /is/ a social activity, and often a lot of play time is bled off in what is essentially socializing. What isn't bled off in rules debates, protracted planning sessions, or the table-top equivalent of 'pixel-bitching,' that is. So I'd say what you're experiencing is pretty normal, and what you're seeing is the result of video-editing, maybe awareness of being on camera - heck, maybe some of those groups even script, rehearse, block, and do 'takes,' for all I know.... ?

Remove ads