D&D General 'Playing D&D' (Without Playing D&D)

What are your favorite ways to 'play D&D' when you're not at the game table?

• Reading the rulebooks

Votes: 52 45.2%
  • Reading other books

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Writing the adventures

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • Worldbuilding: creating new people and places to visit

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • Rolling up new characters

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Writing my character's backstory

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Drawing my character portrait

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Plotting out my next few character levels

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • Drawing maps

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • Designing new monsters

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Designing new magic items

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • Creating macros for the VTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Typing up/reviewing the game notes

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Talking strategy with my fellow players

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Coordinating the next gaming session

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Writing the next campaign

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Painting minis

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • Painting terrain

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Building props and handouts

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Working on my cosplay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (described below)

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Discussing D&D on EN World

Votes: 69 60.0%
  • Writing my own houserules

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • Listening to D&D podcasts

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Watching D&D livestreams/shows

Votes: 14 12.2%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I love world building and writing up adventures, making characters and house rules and discussing houserules or homebrew on these forums or elsewhere. I love reading through the game books, though I find earlier editions more interesting to read through, sometimes I read through dnd books to look for ideas to help with houserules/homebrew/adventures/world building.

R_J_K75

Legend
Besides talking on EN World I mostly just write adventures and prep/re-read my notes day of the game.

In the past I used to read rulebooks, supplements and campaign settings, etc. I used to read D&D and Star Wars novels among others. I painted minis for quite a few years consistently too. Worldbuilding, drawing maps and creating places, maps, & NPCs were some other things I did. My group now is just myself DMing and 2 players and our game is rather casual, we dont play on any set time or day so I dont put too much effort into an elaborate campaign or story arc.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I wish I could say playing D&D based video games, but they are so few and far between. I've mostly been playing other RPGs these days, but love reading about rulebooks, supplements, campaigns, etc.. here on EN World. I also enjoy discussing game theory (mostly before and after edition churns).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wish I could say playing D&D based video games, but they are so few and far between. I've mostly been playing other RPGs these days, but love reading about rulebooks, supplements, campaigns, etc.. here on EN World. I also enjoy discussing game theory (mostly before and after edition churns).
Oh yeah, the CRPGs, I've played through Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and Baldur's Gate 2 so many times. Neverwinter Nights 1 & II I've also played through a lot, though probably not as much as the others. DnD Adjacent games, the two pathfinder games that are out, I've started so many times but never finished, I keep on restarting to try out new builds.

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
Rolling up new characters and planning out my next few levels on the characters I am playing are my top two "not 'other'" choices, but under other, I'll
1. split hairs and say "pouring over/reading maps" specifically.
2. Followed by "listening to D&D podcasts"
3. and "researching TTRPGs as mental health tools."

Last edited:

World building, designing the next campaign and adventure, designing new monsters, and discussions here. It's a lot of fun. Getting lost in what could be for my games is such a rewarding activity.

I hadn't thought about posting here when i saw the prompt but it's definitely a favorite. Even when discussions here turn... difficult... I'm still happy that I had them. I just need to remember to take a break every once in a while and remember that nothing here is worth negatively spilling over into the rest of my life.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I hadn't thought about posting here when i saw the prompt but it's definitely a favorite. Even when discussions here turn... difficult... I'm still happy that I had them. I just need to remember to take a break every once in a while and remember that nothing here is worth negatively spilling over into the rest of my life.
Yeah, the trick is knowing when to close the browser and walk away.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Sometimes, thinking about D&D is almost as fun as playing D&D?

Which helps answers the question: why do people buy more stuff they can realistically play? Because it allows the reader of such material to imagine, to pretend they could play with this material. Which may be why a lot of RPG material these days has such poor usability - it wasn't meant to be actually used.

(edit: not me, just a good blog post on the subject )

Remove ads